Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The RAV4's sold in Canada have the windshield wiper de-icer system. What is this? I did a search, but did not find it in the search, but I'm sure it has already been addresses.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is the same as the rear window heater lines, but along the bottom of the windshield where the wipers rest. There is an interior switch for this feature which also activates the heated side view mirrors.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The U.S. version of the highlander has that if you buy the winter package. From what I have heard, it doesnt work that well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 98 Plymouth Grand Voyager had the heating wires in the front window. It seemed to work pretty well.

I wish Toyota would offer the same features in both the US and Canada, and let us decide which ones we wanted (other than those required by the laws of each country. It isn't as if Canada and the US are on the other side of the world from each other.

·
Registered
32 Posts
herk said:
It is the same as the rear window heater lines, but along the bottom of the windshield where the wipers rest. There is an interior switch for this feature which also activates the heated side view mirrors.
I thought there was a heater in the washer tank to keep the fluid warm as well? Am I mistaken?

Jason

J

·
0 Posts
I had the wiper de-icer on my 2000 Chrysler van and was not that impressed. It worked when the front defroster and rear window defogger were turned on but took forever to do anything. If the temp was close to freezing it was ok but on the few occasions it went into the low 20f range it didn't seem to work unless the van was really heated up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jason,

I have no idea about the heated fluid, I don't remember reading it anywhere, but I known a few things are hidden little secrets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Instructions for wiring heated windshield

I've got the heated windshield installed in a 2007 US RAV4 after the original cracked. I know I need the deicer relay and switch. Has anyone done this install?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's ONE of the many reasons why i got this vehicule. It works amazing especially here with the winter months we have ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our winters are even cooler than those of Montreal region and i greatly appreciate the winshield base heating feature. I live in Saguenay Lac St-Jean region where about 95% of all cars have electric engine
block hearers

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,489 Posts
I've got the heated windshield installed in a 2007 US RAV4 after the original cracked. I know I need the deicer relay and switch. Has anyone done this install?
I haven't heard of anyone here doing that upgrade. When they installed the windshield, did they connect the wiring to the deicer element? Was the wiring even there? Assuming it is, you'll need a 20A deicer fuse in one of the fuse boxes under the hood. Also, as you mentioned, the relay and switch. Look on my profile page and you will find links to download the 2007 electrical wiring diagrams. It's a PDF and if you do a search for "deicer" you will find everything you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They did connect the windshield element to the connector for the deicer and I've been searching through the electrical diagrams but was hoping someone had a step by step to ease the process

·
16,489 Posts
They did connect the windshield element to the connector for the deicer and I've been searching through the electrical diagrams but was hoping someone had a step by step to ease the process
I don't think you're going to find a step by step because you are the pioneer in this area! Best case scenario if the wiring is all there--Pop off the switch panel with the 12v jack in front of the cup holders. Look for switch connector E28--it may be taped out of the way. Mount the deicer switch into one of the empty slots and plug it in. Go under the hood to fuse box #2 on the passenger side. Plug a 20 amp fuse into the DEICER slot and plug in a relay into the DEICER socket right next to the DRL #2 relay. Push the switch and cross your fingers.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Push the switch and cross your fingers.
There is an additional problem, that you really will have a hard time knowing if it is working or not. In almost 5 years of ownership. there may have only been one day when the wiper was frozen to the windshield due to freezing rain. The heater released the wiper from the ice in a few minutes.

I still had to wait for the engine to warm up so that I could use the defroster to clear the remainder of the windshield.

It's not as useful as I had expected it to be.

·
16,489 Posts
There is an additional problem, that you really will have a hard time knowing if it is working or not. In almost 5 years of ownership. there may have only been one day when the wiper was frozen to the windshield due to freezing rain. The heater released the wiper from the ice in a few minutes.

I still had to wait for the engine to warm up so that I could use the defroster to clear the remainder of the windshield.

It's not as useful as I had expected it to be.
Well, Rick, I was thinking that he could use a non-contact laser thermometer to test it. Maybe wait until the evening when it's cool and take a reading off the glass, then turn it on for a few minutes and take another reading to compare. It looks like a really simple circuit, but I'm wondering, does it stay on forever when the switch is pressed, or does it time out like the rear defroster?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well, Rick, I was thinking that he could use a non-contact laser thermometer to test it. ............. but I'm wondering, does it stay on forever when the switch is pressed, or does it time out like the rear defroster?
That was a good idea. I just tried it in my garage. The temperature was 80'F before I started the engine. In just 60 seconds it had risen to 100'F. In about 5 minutes it had reached 140'F and was still creeping upwards.

I checked with the owners manual (since I rarely have an occasion to actually use this feature) and it states that the deicer will automatically shut off after 15 minutes.

The feature is called a "Windshield Wiper De-Icer", and it does do that function fairly well. We often find our wipers are frozen to the base of the windshield, and we risk damage to the wiper motor. My complaint is that when there is ice formed at the very base of the windshield, there is usually ice over the entire windshield, and this feature doesn't do anything to help clear that up. I found that this de-icer doesn't help me get mobile any sooner than the defroster would by itself.

·
16,489 Posts
Well, Rick, I was thinking that he could use a non-contact laser thermometer to test it.
That was a good idea. I just tried it in my garage. The temperature was 80'F before I started the engine. In just 60 seconds it had risen to 100'F. In about 5 minutes it had reached 140'F and was still creeping upwards.
That's how the dealership tested my rear window defroster when some of the elements failed:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts