Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the windshield wiper de-icer? I don't have it and have not seen anywhere you could get it as an option or as part of a package. The only place I found any info was in the manual. The button is supposed to be just left of the power outlet on the bottom of the dash. Looks like it would be a great thing for us northerners to have.

K

·
0 Posts
I noticed it in the manual too. It's something I definitely wouldn't mind having on mine. I was thinking maybe it'd be an option on the V6.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be great if they all had it, but the manual shows it on a separate switch. Should get a chance to see if it's there in the next couple of days when the snow gets here. :shock:

·
Registered
184 Posts
This would be great to have when the temperature is hovering around zero as it has been here for the past couple of weeks. Does anyone know how this system works and if it's possible to install it on a U.S. vehicle?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The de-icer does work. It kept snow from building up at the bottom sweep of the wipers. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can you tell us how it works? What mechanism actually heats the wiper? I've had cars with heating wires in the bottom of the windshield, but the RAV4 wipers appear to sit below the visible portion of the glass. There could still be warming wires in the lowest part of the glass.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The system works with warming wires embedded in the bottom of the windshield. It works on a timer and only stays on X(?) number of minutes.

Haven't really had much of a winter here yet to try them, I'll let you know when old man winter arrives. I've only scrapped the windows a half dozen times.

What a strange winter here in Nova Scotia, although we are almost at the anniversary for "White Juan" (Feb 19, 2004) when a storm dropped almost 1 meter of snow in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yes, heating wires embedded in the glass like the rear defroster. The area of coverage is where the wipers park, out of sight from the interior. I've used the heated windshield only once, while driving in freezing rain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Install for USA rav 4

I used factory parts, already installed wire harnesses in my 2012 base RAV4 to get my replacement windshield that came with the heating element to work. Some how the glass company ordered this, instead of the stock one(which did not come with this feature) when they replaced the broken one.
I first had the window tech plug the wiring harness of the window, into the factory plug located just below the left wiper blade.

I then ordered these parts off the net:
switch, FR wiper de icer. 84794-0R010 $49.75
RELAY. 90080-87010. $19.32

Pull out the switch panel in the rav that has the flip capped power outlet, two blanks, and the traction control. Remove the blank closest to the power outlet . Plug in deicer switch and clip into plug that is attached to the wire harness.

Open the hood and the cover of the passenger side fuse box. Insert relay into deicer location as marked on the cover. Make sure 20 amp fuse is in place.

Turn on car, turn on switch.. Feel the warmth!!!! Cost less than 100 dollars and takes 10 min or less to install.

I can hardly wait for the frost or snow in the sierras!!!

Loren

·
Registered
20 Posts
Windshield de-icer

I used factory parts, already installed wire harnesses in my 2012 base RAV4 to get my replacement windshield that came with the heating element to work. Some how the glass company ordered this, instead of the stock one(which did not come with this feature) when they replaced the broken one.
I first had the window tech plug the wiring harness of the window, into the factory plug located just below the left wiper blade.

I then ordered these parts off the net:
switch, FR wiper de icer. 84794-0R010 $49.75
RELAY. 90080-87010. $19.32

Pull out the switch panel in the rav that has the flip capped power outlet, two blanks, and the traction control. Remove the blank closest to the power outlet . Plug in deicer switch and clip into plug that is attached to the wire harness.

Open the hood and the cover of the passenger side fuse box. Insert relay into deicer location as marked on the cover. Make sure 20 amp fuse is in place.

Turn on car, turn on switch.. Feel the warmth!!!! Cost less than 100 dollars and takes 10 min or less to install.

I can hardly wait for the frost or snow in the sierras!!!

Loren
Could you please post some picture. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts