Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their windshield replaced? Mine got cracked and needs replaced. Can't be repaired at this point.

My insurance - i would have to pay $500 ded first. So i'm assuming it would be cheaper to have it replaced on my own then go through insurance.

But anyone know how much it might cost me? I haven't checked around yet.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Assuming you have the tech package, the LKA system has to be re-calibrated after, so its pretty much required to get this done at the dealer. $500 might be a bargain assuming the LKA needs additional work afterwords. There have been a few reports of LKA not working even after calibration.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
We're having ours replaced for a crack as well, though it's not spreading right now so hopefully we'll be able to go to the end of the season. SafeLite will be $777 total for their mobile unit with OEM glass since that's all they could find. Not sure how much the pre collision camera will be to calibrate yet. Our dealer doesn't do glass work of any kind.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think I answered your question in this link http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/252578-can-somebody-2016-2017-rav4-limited-take-picture-windshield-2.html

They did not need to recalibrate the camera. I watched the guy install the windshield at my house and he told me that he has installed many of the them with cameras and never had one come back for calibration. The mount for the camera is glued on at the factory and the camera just slips into the mount. I don't believe there would even be any way to correct the alignment. I did not see any adjustment screws on the mount or camera. You can easily take the cover off yours and look at it. The cover does not effect the alignment. I think he told me that the windshield would cost 395 including installation. The web site I reference in the reply has a higher cost, but it does provide you with the correct part number, which is critical.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think I answered your question in this link http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/252578-can-somebody-2016-2017-rav4-limited-take-picture-windshield-2.html

They did not need to recalibrate the camera. I watched the guy install the windshield at my house and he told me that he has installed many of the them with cameras and never had one come back for calibration. The mount for the camera is glued on at the factory and the camera just slips into the mount. I don't believe there would even be any way to correct the alignment. I did not see any adjustment screws on the mount or camera. You can easily take the cover off yours and look at it. The cover does not effect the alignment. I think he told me that the windshield would cost 395 including installation. The web site I reference in the reply has a higher cost, but it does provide you with the correct part number, which is critical.
For what its worth I just had a chip fixed in my windshield. I asked the gentleman who did it if anything needed recalibrated after chasing a windshield and he said no. I double checked with another glass shop and they said the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i went through insurance to get it replaced since the lowest price i got was roughly $750 - And my insurance company said my rates wouldn't go up. (also the crack is nearly across the entire windshield)

My insurance company and Safelite both said i should take it to Toyota after its done to get the camera checked and possibly recalibrate. One thing that struck me as odd was, insurance won't pay for it, if it needs done. I would expect that to be part of the process...

·
Registered
87 Posts
So i went through insurance to get it replaced since the lowest price i got was roughly $750 - And my insurance company said my rates wouldn't go up. (also the crack is nearly across the entire windshield)

My insurance company and Safelite both said i should take it to Toyota after its done to get the camera checked and possibly recalibrate. One thing that struck me as odd was, insurance won't pay for it, if it needs done. I would expect that to be part of the process...
Good to know. Our Safelite appointment is tomorrow... Will let you know how ours goes, they quoted about the same for OEM glass. Our crack is in the middle third of the windshield now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know. Our Safelite appointment is tomorrow... Will let you know how ours goes, they quoted about the same for OEM glass. Our crack is in the middle third of the windshield now.

Just picked up my Rav4. It appears i shouldn't need a recalibration. Everything seems to work the same as before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts