Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fall I purchased a set of winter wheels & tires from Tire Rack. I also ordered a second set of TPS' for the winter wheels. The shop I had the wheels delivered to put the new wheels on and took care of programming the TPS. Now that I have a garage (recently bought a house) am I going to run in to problems putting the summer (factory) tires and wheels back on myself?

I see in the manual about resetting the TPS system but I also see where it mentions about needing to take the vehicle in to the dealer to register new ID codes. Will the system remember the original TPS sensors? I'm hoping the system will at least keep track of 2 sets of wheels. I know systems in the past had manual switches hidden somewhere to allow for this but what about 2016 Limiteds specifically? Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are five "slots" in the TPMS ECU for TPMS IDs (four main wheels + spare) so each and every time you swap summer/winter you'll need to have the IDs changed out. If you have access to Techstream you can do it yourself. I wish it had 9 "slots" so you could have two complete sets of wheels + spare registered but it wasn't meant to be I guess...The switch is just to reset the baseline tire pressure, not to program the TPMS IDs to the ECU.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can go the "official" route through TIS but I bought mine on Amazon or you can find them on eBay as well. You have to jump through some hoops but I had an old 32bit Windows XP laptop that I loaded it on and it worked just fine. Sounds like it works fine for some, not so much for others.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W97K7O6/

·
Registered
36 Posts
on the european version of the rav it comes with the ability for 2 sets of tires (not the earliest models started around 6th month 2014) , main set + 2nd set
register the codes via techstream for 2nd set.
press the set tire preassure button 3 times within 3 sec
voila it changed to 2nd set, and your good to go after a tire change... i would guess it is the same for us models, but can not comfirm it

·
Registered
87 Posts
on the european version of the rav it comes with the ability for 2 sets of tires (not the earliest models started around 6th month 2014) , main set + 2nd set
register the codes via techstream for 2nd set.
press the set tire preassure button 3 times within 3 sec
voila it changed to 2nd set, and your good to go after a tire change... i would guess it is the same for us models, but can not comfirm it
Either that never made it to the US or it has been removed, there are only five slots on our 2016 US Hybrid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Either that never made it to the US or it has been removed, there are only five slots on our 2016 US Hybrid.
hmm, well then the us spec cars that got 2 set of wheels needs to get duplicated sensor id's ...

i know one car in my are that have those sensors and its a pain in the ass every year cuz they dont work, run out of battery, or are just really drunk i dont really know...

or you can add the new id's every time you change tires like our 2013 (and some 2014) rav's :laugh

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is why I'm glad they took TPS off Canadian Rav4s.

What a pain in the butt: either pay the dealer to register your tires every change or go half the year with a warning light on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What year did they take off the TPS? I have a 2016 LE looking for winter tires and rims and was wondering about this?
I don't know but both our 2017s don't have it. I think Canadians never bothered to get their systems reset for winter tires so it was pointless anyhow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know but both our 2017s don't have it. I think Canadians never bothered to get their systems reset for winter tires so it was pointless anyhow.
I really hate the Toyota TPSM system, would be better if it gave some sort of numerical feedback as in how much PSI is in each tire.
Theyre not required in my state currently for inspection purposes so Ill go with the blinking light for 6 months !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts