Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. On our RAV4 (2011 base , 4 cylinder, AWD, 3rd row seating) we have the stock steel wheels (painted) with 225/65 R17 tires. I'd like to purchase a set of alloy wheels, preferably stock. I want to put winter tires on the steel wheels and summer on the alloys.

Has anyone done this?
Where can you purchase alloy wheels with TPMS and center caps at reasonable price?
Do you have to reprogram the vehicle for TPMS differences?

Thanks in advance. This seems like a great forum.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You can find used factory wheels in wrecker yards, craiglist, etc. Try Ebay and Rockauto for factory alloy wheels and TPMS. You need to program the TPMS.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I did the exact same thing. 5 spoke steel wheel. Bought a set of limited RAV4 alloy wheels off of craigslist. Had to drive a couple of hours to get them but they were cheap $300 for the set). Can easily be found on ebay for about $120 per. I did not get TPMS just regular valve stems. The current TPMS replacements are called "copy/clones". They run $50-$75 each. They simple copy the signal sent by your existing TMPS sensors. Thus you do not need to reprogram EVERY time you swap wheels.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Below is what I did, found the 2013 alloy 7-spoke rims on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist), practically new with only 800 Km of use:
- my 2008 RAV4 Limited is free of TPMS valves
I used 100 psi chrome valve stems with stainless steel caps, used in the dully truck market.
- for more of a custom look

We bought a mint 2008 Limited v6, last summer / everything was rust free, except the steel winter spare rims.

It would probably cost $150 to get them sandblasted and another $50 in spray can paint - not very cost effective / they do rust fast, possibly through a combination of cheap steel &/or primers.
- good for the scrap bin

3 Season Setup - T4R rims 17x7.5"
So I purchased 2013 takeoff alloy rims off a 2013 4Runner, for $800 Cdn / set of four.
- for all-season summer tires

Test Fit

Winter Setup - Limited rims 17x7"
- the original 6 spoke RAV4 alloy rims, were reserved for my winter tires
- so I still keep the rust free look

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks very good. I am trying to find the center caps for the 6 spoke alloy wheels. Not sure where to find them....is there a part number?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Aluminum Alloy vs Steel rims, also take a different wheel nut / and one on the left takes a thick washer, if I remember correctly.
- aftermarket lug nuts (ebay has good deals), always a lot cheaper than from the Toyota dealer
Center Caps can be found on Canadian Kijiji ($80/set new, in TO) / check out Craigslist $$'s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts