Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2020 Rav4 XLE AWD Blueprint
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Rav4 ravers!

Just did my winter prep today. All that's left is swapping out the all season tires to winters with steelies.

Here's my process:
1. Did a quick 2 bucket wash using Meg's Gold Class mixed with some ONR.
2. Followed up with a strip spray wash to get a barebones finish.
3. This year, I decided to use Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic polish and wax. Have to say quite pleased. Let's see how it'll hold up against my usual Collinite 845 application. Tomorrow morning, weather permitting, I will be coating it with Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray to increase longevity and durability. Toronto winters are harsh and salt laden.

Haven't touched the wheels or wheel well area yet. Will do so when switching out the tires. I decided not to claybar. Paint seemed relatively good. Will revisit it during the spring.

Registered
馃嚚馃嚘 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
Lemme guess, the turtle wax spray from Walmart sale? If so, hello fellow RFD鈥檈r馃憢馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter #3

Registered
Clay bar is a gimmick. And it will ruin your paint. There are much better polishing compounds and even just simple cleaner wax. I cringed when I read that.

Super Moderator
Clay bar is a gimmick. And it will ruin your paint. There are much better polishing compounds and even just simple cleaner wax. I cringed when I read that.
Friend you are ill informed. Clay is a gimmick and ruins paint? Nothing could be farther from the truth. Why are you comparing clay to a compound? That's like comparing a BB gun to Dirty Harry's 44 magnum.

Educate yourself to the positive benefits of using clay on a painted automotive surface. It also works on windshields and other areas.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Can clay ruin your paint? Yes, if you don't know how to use it. It's a process that is quite important when doing paint correction. It definitely requires a lot of lubrication and a lighter hand than most people think. Is it always necessary? No, it comes down to the state of the paint and the type of correction.

Are there better polishes and compounds? Yes. Did I want to do a two stage correction? Lol, no. As a one step correction product, I think it looks quite good the way it came out.

But hey, to each their own. Happy cringing!

Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
I just have to chime in here , even though I do not diy my car washes.
I was told some time ago by someone in the paint business, that most modern cars, especially ones that come with clearcoat, do not require much maintenance aside from plain wash. Unless the environment you use the car in is harsh on paint the clearcoat should last for at least 4 to 5 years. Longer if you use a spray on wax and polish ocasionaly but even that is only after the first 2 years of ownership. Otherwise you destroy the clearcoat faster than it deteriorate on its own.
Not sure if he is right or wrong, but my last Subaru Forester had kept its shine for 5 years without me doing anything. I took it to a brushless car wash 3-4 times a year for full wash, hose it off my self during summer months a few times. And 3-5 tiems run an undercarriage wash only during winter time.
Only after about 5 years the paint started to dull. I do not see a reason to go nuts with all this OCD where the car will mostly last just under 15 years on its own.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I was told some time ago by someone in the paint business, that most modern cars, especially ones that come with clearcoat, do not require much maintenance aside from plain wash. Unless the environment you use the car in is harsh on paint the clearcoat should last for at least 4 to 5 years. Longer if you use a spray on wax and polish ocasionaly but even that is only after the first 2 years of ownership. Otherwise you destroy the clearcoat faster than it deteriorate on its own.
Not sure if he is right or wrong, but my last Subaru Forester had kept its shine for 5 years without me doing anything. I took it to a brushless car wash 3-4 times a year for full wash, hose it off my self during summer months a few times. And 3-5 tiems run an undercarriage wash only during winter time.
Only after about 5 years the paint started to dull. I do not see a reason to go nuts with all this OCD where the car will mostly last just under 15 years on its own.
Generally speaking, yes that may be true with varying results. With newer environmental laws, paint is not as hard as it used to be. Furthermore, while clearcoat is supposed to increase longevity, surface defects are generally unavoidable. This is greatly increased where roads are salted in the winter and a mix of snow, ice and salt can greatly decrease the protection.

A sealant or wax allows an additional barrier of protection and essentially makes it harder for ice and snow to stick due to increased hydrophobic properties in the protection.

A one step polish and wax is far less abrasive than polish, which is far less abrasive than a compound. This is further reduced or increased by the medium which is used. Machine vs hand will have a vast difference as well. Ideally, you want to use less cutting power to get the optimal results. For example, I decided not to clay as I felt that the paint did not need it as much.

Although I'm not OCD when it comes to paint care, I do, however, like a clean car. It's sort of a zen like action for me.

Reactions: VladR

Registered
Prime XSE Premium, Venza Limited
You sir, or maybe it's your paint guy are freaking me out! Don't think I will sleep tonight after reading this. I keep hearing Colonel Kurtz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts