Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thinking about doing winter tires this winter. I've got a 2014 RAV LW AWD. Was thinking about doing a dedicated wheel/tire scenario and changing it out in the summer. I've heard a few people mention get steel rims for winter. I guess I just have no idea where to start. Will my local toyota dealership have some options for rims or do I need to shop somewhere else? Also I have no idea what size rims to get either, or where to buy them. My tire size is 225/65R17. I also don't have pressure sensors in this model, so that should be an issue. Any advice is welcome!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can pick up steel rims on ebay for $50-60 each then purchase a set of your preferred winter tire and mount and balance and your be all set.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just want to confirm your comment above - not that it matters too much.
I've got a 2014 RAV LW AWD
I also don't have pressure sensors in this model, so that should be an issue.
That's odd sentence structure but my 2014 LE AWD has pressure sensors. I did a quick search for a LW Rav4 to confirm if it was a different country version and didn't see anything so I assume just a small typographical error since the W is next to the E. If my base LE has it, then everyone has it lol. It will only add a max of $5ish/tire when you do the install I believe, so not a big deal. I just wanted to make sure you knew that you had the TPMS's in your tires. If you would like to confirm, there should be a reset switch under the dash by your left? leg I believe. Location in the thread below, but if you have a US version, you should have the sensors. It shouldn't be a problem though.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/244793-tpms-reset-button.html

Steel rims are probably best for winter + wherever you can find the tires you want the cheapest and then just go to a local shop to have them mount/balance them and you're all set. Repeat going to the shop to swap them out every season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant LE..So how to I size/find the right rims for the Rav? No the 14' LE model does not have TPMS.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Please complete your profile in User CP so we know where you are located in the world. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with a TPMS, the Rav4 is a passenger car.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum, but do us and yourself a favor. Go back in and edit your profile to show your state, province, or at a minimum, your country. Your question will likely have some answers specific to your location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I did..Basically just need to know what RIM size I can go with here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You could try Tire Rack for a winter tire/steel wheel package. Some recommend going to a smaller wheel for winter tires, thus for you it would be a 16 inch diameter wheel and tire. See the attached, gives you some info and pricing and if you click on the view on vehicle in the wheel info section it gives detailed info on the 16 inch wheel.

https://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I meant LE..So how to I size/find the right rims for the Rav? No the 14' LE model does not have TPMS.
Hmm, I thought all USA market RAVs were mandated to have the TPMS. Perhaps you have one from the Canadian market.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Here's some information:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/rav4/2014/

I also highly recommend dropping down to the 16-inch wheel for better traction and ride comfort. Generally, avoid the Toy dealer or pay top dollar. Dedicated tire shops like Discount Tire (America's Tire) will sometimes have used steelies and they know what fits including lugnuts. They are also an excellent store for getting your tires. They always have a sale day after Thanksgiving, 4 for price of 3. Last year I got some Nokian Hakkapelitta SUV 7 from them--they had to ship them from--Wisconsin to Idaho, but no charge! An excellent tire at a low price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I second the suggestion to bump down to a 16 inch rim. The stock rims tended to collect snow when we got more than 4-5 inches and cause the tires to become horribly unbalanced. Bumping down to the 16 in rims with taller tires has reduced this significantly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm looking at this same thing on my new 2017 RAV4 XLE AWD. But I hate steel wheels and always just buy a set of alloy wheels even for my winter tires. Just because it's winter I still want to look good!

I'm just sticking with the 17" size though. That's one thing that I liked about the XLE compared to the 18" wheels on the higher models. I thought it rode better with the taller tires. So 225/65R17 winter tires here I come. I would love to see some aftermarket wheels on some other RAV4's though.

To the OP, you need to buy the size wheels that you are going to buy winter tires. SO if you stick with your 225/65R17 size then buy 17" wheels. If you get a 215/70R16 winter tire then buy 16" wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok, quick question: I just bought a 2017 Platinum RAV4...love it, and it has 18” wheels. Should I step down just one size for a 17” winter tire, or can I go 2?

Another question: I’d like 2 sets and just swap them every spring and fall, but with Toyota’s TPMS, do I have to have the dealer do the registrations every time I swap them? For my Honda, I didn’t need to do this... I’d swap sets and just reset the tpms myself.

Lastly: any good deals out there? so far looking like even tire rack is going to be well over $1200.... :shock:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't like the looks of steel &/or 16" rims and 18" tires are expensive / 17" alloys here, OEM size.
- if TPM needed, buy universals cheap off E-bay / Toyota brand not necessary (>>$$)

For spring/summer/fall - I run Firestone Destination Le2's
In winter - next set of snows, will be Cooper Arctic Claw
^^ Both examples are real good & priced right.

Oversize tires on diameter, is nonsense - snow turns into ice buildup, on lower part of fenders.
- tires have to carve through the accumulated slush & ice, on the wheel well bottom edges
- so stick with OEM sizes

Winter is approaching & time for swapping out the M&S summer tires.

Bought the low mileage RAV4 this summer, wearing Michelin snow tires & SUV came with the OEM aluminum rims & nuts.
- luckily the rusty steel rims, scared away the first two buyers
- otherwise, the RAV4 was totally rust free, even the undercarriage

As purchased:

Used the rusty rims & tires for safety check , next day purchase new Firestone Le2 tires & installed on the factory 6-spoke aluminum rims:

Now comes the 2013 Highlander OEM 17" rims, new 7-spoke takeoffs with 800 Km:
- these rims will be my summer wheels with the Firestone Le2 rubber

From what I gathered: Bolt pattern | Stud Pattern : Toyota Bolt Pattern

2008 RAV4 Limited - rim size = 17x7 & 5x114.3 bolt pattern, with a 45 mm offset
- Hub/Center Bore = 60 mm hole for Toyota center cap

2013 Highlander - rim size = 17x7.5 & 5x114.3 bolt pattern, with a 35 mm offset
- Hub/Center Bore = 60.1 mm hole for Toyota center caps

^^ Only the rim width (1/2 inch) so offset is different by 10 mm - anyone see a problem, with this?
- the new Highlander rims will be for summer now & RAV4 OEM rims for winter driving
Cheers, Larry

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't like the looks of steel &/or 16" rims and 18" tires are expensive / 17" alloys here, OEM size.
- if TPM needed, buy universals cheap off E-bay / Toyota brand not necessary (>>$$)

For spring/summer/fall - I run Firestone Destination Le2's
In winter - next set of snows, will be Cooper Arctic Claw
^^ Both examples are real good & priced right.

Oversize tires on diameter, is nonsense - snow turns into ice buildup, on lower part of fenders.
- tires have to carve through the accumulated slush & ice, on the wheel well bottom edges
- so stick with OEM sizes
They will fit fine. They will look even better with the additional offset.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Winter steels just arrived ready for tires...
Anyone have any good suggestions for center caps on these things?
I’d prefer not to have that center hub exposed to the salt and snow. 16” rim
Looks like its a 2.5”/65mm wide opening and protrudes aprox. 2-2.5” past the rim so it would have to be more of a “cap” design rather than a cover.
Any suggestions/pics would be awesome.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
J-Roc you should spray some Rust Check (red can) spray on that wheel to protect it from road salt. If left untreated the salt will rust it badly in 2 years.

Your hub look like lug-centric and a center cap may not stay on without a lip sticking out like those hub-centric ones. A wheel cover may work better or spray the hub with black rust paint to match the wheel.

By the way that wheel look awful close to the caliper.

·
Registered
245 Posts
J-Roc you should spray some Rust Check (red can) spray on that wheel to protect it from road salt. If left untreated the salt will rust it badly in 2 years.

Great advice. Thanks. Also planning on giving them a couple coats of white and a clear coat so that will also help.
Will that rust check leave a “greasy” coating all over them though?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts