Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it been probably asked before. Since I got a leftover new 13yr Le model would like to hear about what tire and their winter experience with that tire! This being my first year with any suv. I do alot of skiing and drive winding roads to get their (meaning two lane) and not always plowed that well. There will always be a layer of snow or snow/ice scrape on road in patches.

I did pretty well with just pirelli p4 all seasons with a sedan. I cannot figure out for this first winter if I should get new winter tires or keep my latitudes on since not that many miles on them under 10k right now? Any ones thoughts. O ya I need to hear from people who have ravs. So if you say go read tire rack or internet fine. I would rather hear about a rav experience than sedan experience on winter tires. Isn't this why I am asking here lol smiling.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get winters! It's worth it if you get any amount of snow and cold weather. I'm likely going with the Bridgestone DMV-1. Had them on our Venza and they are the quietest winter tires we ever had.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea for this winter cause we had a BRUTAL one last year. The Rav did really well in it but I will admit, I didn't go out driving in the worst of it!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I installed 225/65R17 Blizzak DM-V1's on factory 17" steel rims at winter. Got the rims, hub caps, lug nuts and OEM tires ( >2K miles ) as take-offs from an EBay seller. They are slightly louder than the OEM tires but provide much better grip in the snow. Put about 6,000 miles on them last winter and they still look good. To me, the added safety during the snowy season justifies the extra cost.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Get dedicated winter tires. I bought Bridgestone Blizzaks and am extremely satisfied after 1 season.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I installed 225/65R17 Blizzak DM-V1's on factory 17" steel rims at winter. Got the rims, hub caps, lug nuts and OEM tires ( >2K miles ) as take-offs from an EBay seller. They are slightly louder than the OEM tires but provide much better grip in the snow. Put about 6,000 miles on them last winter and they still look good. To me, the added safety during the snowy season justifies the extra cost.
If you don't mind me asking, what'd you pay for the OEM steelies (hub caps, lug nuts, and tires)? Just so I'd have a ballpark estimate. I'd like to keep it OEM too by either sourcing some OEM alloys from a sub-limited trim or just some OEM steelies would be fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Leonard1818:
I think I got a decent deal. The 4 wheels, mounted tires, hub caps and lug nuts were $600. This was November of last year. The tires show virtually no wear and will be used a replacements as soon as the original ones wear down. I would have preferred the XLE alloys but prices were over $600 for just the alloys ( no tires or lugs ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Winter tires = good!

I've run Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ices and found both to be good - slight edge to the Bridgestones in deeper snow.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I've run Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ices and found both to be good - slight edge to the Bridgestones in deeper snow.
On ice, would you say that the X-Ice3 handles better? TireRack says that Blizzaks are overall superior that the X-Ice3 except for cornering.

I found that the Blizzaks had extremely soft exterior compound which does not give it longevity.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We got our Rav in January '14 and did some driving in the snow on the standard Bridgestone Dueler all seasons. I was happy with the performance as I was with a very similar tire (Dueler D684 II instead of D687, different size) on my '10 4Runner that I traded on the Rav. I figure I'll stick with what I have for the time being and buy winter tires if more testing reveals that I need them for my situation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I live in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The approach up to my home is a fairly steep road. I am currently trying to decide between the Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 or the Hankook I Pike RW11.

Any comments/reviews from people that have had them on their Rav through at least one Winter would be appreciated.

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I live in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The approach up to my home is a fairly steep road. I am currently trying to decide between the Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 or the Hankook I Pike RW11.

Any comments/reviews from people that have had them on their Rav through at least one Winter would be appreciated.

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct
I think technically the weather masters are for cars. They are marketed as passenger car tires. My wife has them on her mazda 3. The cooper discoverer m+s is for suvs. However, these days I'm not sure it matters. I have the cooper discoverer m+s and they are fine but i don't really have a lot of comparisons to other snow tires under my belt. I had the same set on my 2005 escape, then a cx5 and now the rav.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My mom has hankook all season. She got them since other family member told her they are good in winter. Hankook 727. These have to be the most annoying sounding tires I have heard in entire life. I cannot buy hankook because of fearing or hearing this sound. Sorry just me and 727 tire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get a set of Nokian WRG2 or 3s. All season with an official winter rating and a high mileage warranty. We had the dealer credit us for the original factories and they sent the Rav out to kal tire here to install the WRGs. Had them on the Rav of 16 months and still enjoy them.

Saves you a bundle on the second set of tires (sell your factory tires) and saves the hassle & cost of swapping all four tires twice a year.

Had them on our Acura for six plus year and then one had a blow out. They offered me a complete set of four for 80% off retail, which was less than the price of one tire! Now a new warranty as well.

And, YES, we have winter here in Manitoba!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think technically the weather masters are for cars. They are marketed as passenger car tires. .

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I sent Cooper Tires an email specifically asking which of their tires would be the better choice for my V-6 AWD Rav4. The Weater-Masters S/T2 or the Discoverer M + S. I also informed them that I live in the mountains of NH where we get plenty of snow each Winter. Their answer for my vehicle in my location was that the Weather-Master would be the better choice. I regret that I didn't save their email or I would have posted it for you to read.

Additionally, I am interested in knowing whether or not a "directional" tread pattern is a plus to have on Winter tires. Some people think so but I don't know if it's ever been proven by actual comparison tests.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I sent Cooper Tires an email specifically asking which of their tires would be the better choice for my V-6 AWD Rav4. The Weater-Masters S/T2 or the Discoverer M + S. I also informed them that I live in the mountains of NH where we get plenty of snow each Winter. Their answer for my vehicle in my location was that the Weather-Master would be the better choice. I regret that I didn't save their email or I would have posted it for you to read.

Additionally, I am interested in knowing whether or not a "directional" tread pattern is a plus to have on Winter tires. Some people think so but I don't know if it's ever been proven by actual comparison tests.
I believe you. I'm just surprised since they are marketed as SUV tire vs passenger car tire. But with the rav, especially the 4.4, being more of a CUV im sure it can go either way.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Get a set of Nokian WRG2 or 3s. All season with an official winter rating and a high mileage warranty. We had the dealer credit us for the original factories and they sent the Rav out to kal tire here to install the WRGs. Had them on the Rav of 16 months and still enjoy them.

Saves you a bundle on the second set of tires (sell your factory tires) and saves the hassle & cost of swapping all four tires twice a year.

And, YES, we have winter here in Manitoba!
That's good to know. I have read that they are not as good as dedicated winter tires. But you still have to rotate the tires; so some "dirty" work still needs to be done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts