Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an XLE model that I am contemplating ordering winter tires for. My previous car was a Mazda 6 and winter tires made a world of difference in wet and cold weather. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Hello,

I have an XLE model that I am contemplating ordering winter tires for. My previous car was a Mazda 6 and winter tires made a world of difference in wet and cold weather. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?
Be aware that putting aggressive tires on it will cost you a lot of MPG, maybe 10-15% (and more when its very cold). Rather than pre-judge the car's need for tires, why not drive it for a while and see how it does? If needed, upgrading to a high quality A/S tire will gain quite a bit of performance without as much cost in MPG.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello,

I had blizzak’s in past 8 winters. (2 sets). amazing performance in snow. Poor performance on black ice.

for my 19rav4h bought michellin’s ix3
Looking forward to first snow :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
The blizzak WS90 (new this year) are designed with a new compound which is supposed to last longer.

But you also have to understand these are Nordic tread compounds and while they perform superbly on ice and snow, they’re not really meant to be on dry pavement 70% of the time. So that’s why they wear so fast. It’s a trade off.

All weather tires are a nice compromise if you only get a few snow storms every year and the roads are well maintained for the most part. Michelin crossclimate, Nokian WRG4 and Toyo Celsius all provide improved handling in the white stuff without the seasons change overs and wear factor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Am in Florida where this is not an issue; however, I understand that higher profile snow tires perform better, and can cost less. Lower profile = flatter tread and less traction in snow. Also, it was posted somewhere that 16" wheels fit just fine. I would consider something like 16" wheels and a 70% profile. Something like a P225/70R16

Sometimes I like to do some light off road and am considering a cheap set of 16" wheels and all-terrain P225/70R16 tires for the added suspension and greater traction on loose sand, gravel and dirt.

Also curious why you went to wider 335 tires for the snow? Is there some advantage to that?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice choice. I had them on my Corolla and it was by far the best winters I ever had. Also wore down way too quick though :(
I use the exact same tire on my Rav4 but 17 inch. They are one of the best in my opinion.

A quick FYI if you are using steel rims for winter, get your-self another pair of lug nuts. The oem one don't sit properly with the steel rims I bought. Might not have this issue, but i'd still get a cheaper set so you don't rust the oem one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Winter tires definitely make a huge difference, especially if you have to deal with ice or hills. Our Prius V with Continental WinterContact tires is more capable in the snow than our new Rav4 with the stock all-seasons.

I just mounted new snows from TireRack on the Rav4. Some observations:
  • I went with a 1-minus size (225/70r16). The width is the same as the stock 17s, but the softer sidewalls should help. I do notice slightly mushier cornering, but I think that's inherent in snow tires.
  • I got Continental VikingContact because I have WinterContacts on my Prius V and they're good (better than previous Blizzaks). However ... I notice that one wheel is balanced with 2 weights and another has 16. That suggests flaky quality control. It's not noticeable though.
  • Noise is slightly greater but not obtrusive.
  • I don't have enough miles on yet to be sure, but the fuel economy hit seems small. That's consistent with my experience with the Prius V, which loses more to weather than to the tires.
I've used TireRack a couple times and liked them, but this time they screwed up massively. They didn't screw down the valve stems, which apparently were held in place by air pressure during shipping, but vibrated loose immediately. As a result, I had 2 total deflations within 2 miles of my house. So, CHECK THE TORQUE ON YOUR VALVE STEMS.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Winter tires definitely make a huge difference, especially if you have to deal with ice or hills. Our Prius V with Continental WinterContact tires is more capable in the snow than our new Rav4 with the stock all-seasons.

I just mounted new snows from TireRack on the Rav4. Some observations:
  • I went with a 1-minus size (225/70r16). The width is the same as the stock 17s, but the softer sidewalls should help. I do notice slightly mushier cornering, but I think that's inherent in snow tires.
  • I got Continental VikingContact because I have WinterContacts on my Prius V and they're good (better than previous Blizzaks). However ... I notice that one wheel is balanced with 2 weights and another has 16. That suggests flaky quality control. It's not noticeable though.
  • Noise is slightly greater but not obtrusive.
  • I don't have enough miles on yet to be sure, but the fuel economy hit seems small. That's consistent with my experience with the Prius V, which loses more to weather than to the tires.
I've used TireRack a couple times and liked them, but this time they screwed up massively. They didn't screw down the valve stems, which apparently were held in place by air pressure during shipping, but vibrated loose immediately. As a result, I had 2 total deflations within 2 miles of my house. So, CHECK THE TORQUE ON YOUR VALVE STEMS.
Tire Rack is very active on Twitter so I bet if you mention something about it, they’d make it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tire Rack is very active on Twitter so I bet if you mention something about it, they’d make it right.
Good to know - it may come to that. I was hoping to avoid a public discussion, because I like TireRack. But honestly, they're testing my limits - a lot of speculating ways this might be my fault for hitting a road hazard that somehow missed both front tires, but damaged both rears. Here's a direct quote from a customer service email: "... I am sure you know and understand that tires are made out of rubber and vulnerable to outside influences."

1 - 20 of 89 Posts