Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on advantages / disadvantages between Sport w 18's or limited with 17's as far as handling snow and ice. Since I live in Alaska this is big concern, would of course be switching out to Nokia's with studs

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
In a winter environment your surface is not smooth due to the packed snow and ice. So just think of it as a rough dirt road.
The larger profile of the 17” tires will act as a suspension and smooth out the ride. 16" which I believe are not an option would be even better.
Having said all that, you will need a second set of Rim/tires anyway so you can go with 18”’s in the summer and buy the 17’s with the Nokia’s for the winters. That is if up there you have a few months of smooth paved roads. :roll:

Walt

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the input, confirms what I thought -don't have much for smooth paved roads even in summer, mostly gravel

·
Registered
179 Posts
flyingn said:
buy a set of the 16" steel (cheap!) wheels and bolt on a set of aggressive snows and swap em out for the 18" once the winter is over
Can you really do this? If the circumference of the tires is different, it will throw off your speedometer and odometer accuracy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Exactly, this is the reason you put winter tyres on smaller wheels. The aspect ratio is going to smaller than on a performance tyre, yielding the same diameter and circumference.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Having dedicated snow tires on their own set of rims is key, especially if you live up north.

Therefore, get whatever you want for the summer, and get a set of 16" steel wheels with snow tires for the winter. They won't affect anything if you make up for the smaller wheel with a tire that has a larger sidewall.

If you do the math, you'll realize that the 3 wheel/tire sizes Toyota offers (16",17",18") are almost the same overall diameter. So if you get 18" wheels with 235/55-18 tires for the summer, you can get 16" wheels with 215/70-16 tires for the winter. Your speedometer will be off by 1 mph, which is insignificant.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's going to look rather ugly with just steel wheels. Should at least get some plastic covers for them. Hide the boring steel.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Actually, for being steel wheels, the 2006 RAV4's actually look pretty darn good! 8)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yep, all RAV4 steelies are the silver-painted, styled steel type, not the ugly black ones that you want to use wheel covers with.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Actually looks like he's right -- a stripper base RAV4 in the US does have 16" steelies with wheel covers. This isn't the case here, even our base model has the 17" styled steel wheels that your picture shows. Interesting choice on Toyota's part.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Ahhh!! You are correct sir! I hadn't been pricing any Base models, so the idea that it was an option completely slipped my mind.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Not really any need to reply here, looks like you got it covered. I do like the styled steel wheels though. Can't imagine putting a hubcap on a RAV. Black steel wheels with h/caps shouldn't be allowed. Its borerline criminal I say.

Later. M. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a bit alarmed by all this talk of winter tires. I live in upstate New York and, for me, part of the appeal of switching from my Camry to the RAV4 was getting the 4WD and having something that can handle the weather...especially my 45-degree inclined driveway when it gets icy. I was assuming that with the RAV, I wouldn't need snows.

Wrong again?

Thx!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts