Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Platinum RAV4...love it, and it has 18” wheels. Should I step down just one size for a 17” winter tire, or can I go 2?

Another question: I’d like 2 sets and just swap them every spring and fall, but with Toyota’s TPMS, do I have to have the dealer do the registrations every time I swap them? For my Honda, I didn’t need to do this... I’d swap sets and just reset the tpms myself.

Lastly: any good deals out there? so far looking like even tire rack is going to be well over $1200....

Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just ordered a set of these...

Going to paint them white though. Have a pair of firestone winters to put on them.
225/65/R16

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm buying a set of 17" wheels for my winter wheels and tires. If the width is the same it won't really matter. I just hate how ugly a steel wheel is so I'm getting a set of alloy wheels. Steel wheels also quickly start to look even worse if you have to deal with salt on the roads. I'd rather it still look good even in the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I have a winter tire/wheel set, can I do the swap myself twice a year or do I have to take it to the dealership to register the tpms?

·
Registered
210 Posts
It looks like if you have two sets and each set has a TPMS, you'd have to have someone register the TPMS currently used. Looks like you'll have to pay the dealer everytime this is done, but you might want to discuss with your nearest Discount Tire as apparently they can do this for you for free(?)...see attached link, (i think that Tacoma thread was way back in 2013 though)...they made mention also of "cloning" your original TPMS, so they will have the same codes (and therefore no need for re-registering each time you swap tire/wheel set)... but I personally don't know what is the best solution, haven't had to have separate sets so far....

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...i-e-winter-summer-street-off-road-etc.257388/

·
Registered
208 Posts
So if I have a winter tire/wheel set, can I do the swap myself twice a year or do I have to take it to the dealership to register the tpms?
I have a set of sensors on my 2009 Corolla S, 2010 Prius and my daughters 2008 Yaris winter wheels. I had Discount Tire install a set of cloned sensors so that I didn't need to have them recode them twice a year even though they do it for free and the dealer charges for this. The cloned sensors were only $30 each so it wasn't too expensive.

Reactions: prechierav

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Platinum RAV4...love it, and it has 18” wheels. Should I step down just one size for a 17” winter tire, or can I go 2?

Another question: I’d like 2 sets and just swap them every spring and fall, but with Toyota’s TPMS, do I have to have the dealer do the registrations every time I swap them? For my Honda, I didn’t need to do this... I’d swap sets and just reset the tpms myself.

Lastly: any good deals out there? so far looking like even tire rack is going to be well over $1200....

Thanks!
You`ll need registration only first time you change new wheels. Next time you only press the button under the steering column and wait that the tire symbol on the clock flashes 3 times. I prefer 17" winter wheels.

Uti

·
Registered
208 Posts
You`ll need registration only first time you change new wheels. Next time you only press the button under the steering column and wait that the tire symbol on the clock flashes 3 times. I prefer 17" winter wheels.

Uti
So the RAV4 has the ability to have in memory 2 sets of TMPS? That would be great for many people if I'm reading this right.

·
Registered
291 Posts
from everything I've read, you have to get the tpms re-registered every time you swap. I have a set of 17" with snow tires and the tpms mostly stayes off even though I didn't get these registered to my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts