Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chose not to replace the car's center hardware at this time, because my own software can't adequately replicate all of the car's built-in functionality. As this changes, I will look at taking over the center screen and possibly other improvements.

So, I don't have an "installed" picture handy, but I can explain what's going on. The attached is my computer's "head unit", and is currently mostly an empty box. I've attached it directly center above the steering wheel on the dashboard: It barely infringes on my view of the full extent of the windshield, and future iterations of it will be tidier and smaller. It's mounted via 3M Dual Lock strips, identical to the ones that come with an IPASS. (I actually spaced the strips the same as they are on an IPASS as a convenience.) Also currently up on the dash is my computer's GPS receiver, though I'm going to strip it down and place it inside the head unit with the display along with a small USB hub.

I haven't settled on how to mount the computer yet. It's an Intel NUC, and currently it, the power adapter, and a handful of cables, sit on one side of the floor of my passenger side. And I run Windows 10 in my car, though I only connect an actual monitor for troubleshooting, so normally the only interface is the 16x2 character display. Currently I'm feeding the audio through the aux input in the center console, but I'm going to need to improve that, the feedback while the thing isn't actively playing music can be irritating.

As far as the software, it's my home automation system with new modules for the car functionality. So far most of the work has been in the display, smoothly handling updates and syncs from the Internet, playing my music (the entire music library is stored locally), and logging GPS. I've started to work on getting directions implemented. I haven't worked on interfacing with CAN yet, but I have a book, some adapter cables, and a desire to learn. As it runs the same software as my home, one of the to-do items is being able to send commands from my car to my house. It does respond by speech, but speech recognition isn't implemented yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Ya lost me when I read Windows 10. :) I'm retired from over thirty years of programing. Real Time or a compromise to U*x and assembler are all I know, and now my largest programs can run on a set of chips that would fit on your thumbnail. :)

Good luck with the chunky hardware. Seriously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya lost me when I read Windows 10. :) I'm retired from over thirty years of programing. Real Time or a compromise to U*x and assembler are all I know, and now my largest programs can run on a set of chips that would fit on your thumbnail. :)

Good luck with the chunky hardware. Seriously.
Heh, software development is not my specialty, and I make no bones about that. ;) It's not meant to interfere with anything critical for driving, and it's been set up for the one-finger repair method.

The chunky hardware is actually quite intentional: I want to have room to play. The speech recognition needs to happen entirely on device, I may hook up a camera and use it as a DVR (and was even looking at some computer vision applications for that). Not using the cloud for much of anything. If I had a clear end to what my requirements would be, I'd have picked lower end hardware at the bare minimum (even Windows 10 runs on a Raspberry Pi these days). Theoretically I could port my automation software to Linux, but it'd be a lot of work for a wholly different environment to support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts