Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in to the dealership yesterday to have stage one of the wiper recall mechanism thingy replaced and was informed that at a "date-to-be-announced", they are also going to replace the entire wiper catch basin tray... or whatever they call it.

Now I'm a little nervous about this because the summer past I replaced one of the corner wiper tray rubber elbows (on the driver side) and it's different than the original one they installed in 2009. In short... you CANNOT buff it. It's flat black and butt ugly.

So... has anyone in the USA gotten the new wiper tray installed and if so... what's it like? Cuz frankly... if it's going to have the same finish as those ugly-ass flat black buff-less rubber elbows.... they can keep it.

I'm not giving up my sweet, mint condition, buffed wiper tray - so clean you could eat sushi off it - for anything but its equal. :wink

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hmmm, maybe they're doing it differently in Canada. Still waiting for a (Toyota USA) letter when fix is available here, and no mention of stage 1 or 2, and didn't know they would replace the wiper motor linkage first. Do you know if they found any corrosion on the linkage?

I don't know about the replacement tray, but I don't think I'd swap out that beauty!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, maybe they're doing it differently in Canada. Still waiting for a (Toyota USA) letter when fix is available here, and no mention of stage 1 or 2, and didn't know they would replace the wiper motor linkage first. Do you know if they found any corrosion on the linkage?

I don't know about the replacement tray, but I don't think I'd swap out that beauty!
Not sure if they found corrosion or not.. didn't actually and foolishly think to ask....shoulda asked for the swapped out part as well just to take a look. Rats.

The Stage 2 - wiper tray replacement they said is required... whatever that suggests. I can't see how they are going to mod the new trays to make them any better than the current, or how the new tray is going to better protect the part. But I am definitely going to wait until others have had it done for thoughts. I can't be the guinea pig all the time. :wink

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Not sure if they found corrosion or not.. didn't actually and foolishly think to ask....shoulda asked for the swapped out part as well just to take a look. Rats.

The Stage 2 - wiper tray replacement they said is required... whatever that suggests. I can't see how they are going to mod the new trays to make them any better than the current, or how the new tray is going to better protect the part. But I am definitely going to wait until others have had it done for thoughts. I can't be the guinea pig all the time. :wink
Okay, thanks. I try to grill the service manager about what they find, but don't ask to see replacement parts used on warranty work. I'll ask when I get mine done, whenever that is, and see what they say.

I think you are one of the first guinea pigs to report some of the work being done for the wiper assembly recall, but another poster on another thread actually had his replaced as it had failed--it was paid under the warranty. Also a Canada car, so maybe driving conditions matter.

I live in a desert clime getting about 10-inches rain per year, so maybe won't get rusted. I had the 'recall of the recall' done on the rear suspension stabilizer thingie and the service manager said no rust found, so I kind of wish I'd skipped that one.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Toyota must be taking care of Canadian - owned and driven RAVs first regarding the windshield wiper mechanism recall. I haven't heard anything further since receiving the original notice of the recall.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Toyota must be taking care of Canadian - owned and driven RAVs first regarding the windshield wiper mechanism recall. I haven't heard anything further since receiving the original notice of the recall.
It will be interesting to see how this goes. The Canadian-driven RAVs are probably subject to more snow/ice stress on the linkage, as well as rust, and makes sense they would go first. The windshield tray piece is referred to as 'cowling housing ventilator assembly' or some such. It would be a spendy proposition to redesign and distribute. At least the underlying linkage can be replaced as RollTide did.

It's good to know there is a warranty issue if the wipers stop wiping...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be interesting to see how this goes. The Canadian-driven RAVs are probably subject to more snow/ice stress on the linkage, as well as rust, and makes sense they would go first.

Putting Alaska aside cuz it's obvious where that is, significant regions of Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and New York State have a far more northern geography and hence snow belt conditions than the heavily populated Southern Ontario province in Canada.. ie Toronto. Heck... my friend in Denver was shoveling two days ago when i was riding my bike up here. :wink

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Putting Alaska aside cuz it's obvious where that is, significant regions of Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and New York State have a far more northern geography and hence snow belt conditions than the heavily populated Southern Ontario province in Canada.. ie Toronto. Heck... my friend in Denver was shoveling two days ago when i was riding my bike up here. :wink
Yeah, hard to say how Toyota determines priority other than ice/salt guesstimate, lol. Another thread shows GreenmanYQR in Regina had his fixed like yours and explains the 2 stage process. And Bob in NJ is getting parts also:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/222361-recall-interim-wiper-motor-fix.html

So far in Idaho only has the first letter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts