Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a recall notice last week for "Wiper Motor Corrosion Remedy". I Called the dealer today and was told they wont have parts for 1 or 2 months. Has anybody had the the "Front Cowl Assembly replaced" !
Seems crazy that it would take a month or 2 to get parts.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Many recalls are issued with no fix yet available. To avoid a zillion dollar fine they MUST issue the recall even if they have no clue or parts to fix it. Waiting a month or two for the complete fix & parts to become available is all too common.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This recall came out 1 year ago but the fix was just announced.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I got a recall notice last week for "Wiper Motor Corrosion Remedy". I Called the dealer today and was told they wont have parts for 1 or 2 months. Has anybody had the the "Front Cowl Assembly replaced" !
Seems crazy that it would take a month or 2 to get parts.
Yeah, this recall has been out awhile. Some have had an interim fix done which involves replacing the mechanism under the wiper cowling. A re-designed cowling is apparently in the works.
More info in other links, like these:
[URL="http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/201769-wiper-recall.html"]http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/222361-recall-interim-wiper-motor-fix.html[/URL]
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/220897-wiper-mechanism-recall-done-but.html

One poster had the wipers actually fail and it was immediately replaced under the recall, no waiting. Likely due to living in an area more subject to corrosion. I'm in an ultra dry climate, this is low on my priority list to fix, but nice to know it would be covered if it did fail.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
As with other owners I received the recall notice quite some time ago but no parts were available, and according to my dealer the last time I was in for a service (September) they still weren't available in our area but apparently are in areas where road salt and chemicals are used in winter. The service manager said that there was an interim repair available in those places.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As with other owners I received the recall notice quite some time ago but no parts were available, and according to my dealer the last time I was in for a service (September) they still weren't available in our area but apparently are in areas where road salt and chemicals are used in winter. The service manager said that there was an interim repair available in those places.
Yes , I got the original recall notice over a year ago, I then got the interim notice fix and the seat belt cover recall notice . I was waiting for the REMEDY to come out so I could have them both done at the same time. Last week I got the REMEDY notice saying "PLEASE CONTACT ANY AUTHORIZED TOYOTA DEALER TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO HAVE THE REMEDY PERFORMED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE" I called them and was told it would be 1 or 2 months before they get the parts. I guess my question is why send out a notice saying they have a REMEDY and call them to get it fixed without having the parts to perform it. I'm sure they know how many parts they need for the recall. Why not wait until they have the parts available before sending out the notice. I could understand 1 week to order parts but 1 or 2 months tells me that they haven't even started making them. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had the notice for some time (over 6 months). When I originally called about it, they said they didn't have the parts yet.

Followed up and had the repair/replace done 2 weeks ago. Looks like some Canadian dealers have the parts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Had the notice for some time (over 6 months). When I originally called about it, they said they didn't have the parts yet.

Followed up and had the repair/replace done 2 weeks ago. Looks like some Canadian dealers have the parts.
So did they replace the wiper tray cowling piece with a new design, as well as the mechanical arms below?

·
Registered
166 Posts
So did they replace the wiper tray cowling piece with a new design, as well as the mechanical arms below?
I'm embarrassed to say ... I was so busy I never looked at it following the repair. I'm not sure that I will even be able to say what they did as I never paid much attention to it before the recall work was done either. I will take a peek this weekend though.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say ... I was so busy I never looked at it following the repair. I'm not sure that I will even be able to say what they did as I never paid much attention to it before the recall work was done either. I will take a peek this weekend though.
Photos would be great so everyone can compare with their own RAV.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought a 2010 RAV4 on 11/4/16 and the Toyota dealership I brought it to for a pre-purchase inspection in Santa Rosa CA performed this recall when it was in the garage... so it looks like the parts are starting to show up at dealerships in the US as well. The parts that were replaced according to the service slip were:
  • 04005-47342: Cranks, Sub-Assy. F
  • 04005-6310R: Louver Kit.Cowl T

·
Registered
1 Posts
Final Repair For Wiper Recall

There was an intermediate fix for the linkage. Got the final recall notice 2 weeks ago. Cowling was replaced last week by dealer when I brought it in for an oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts