Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but didn't find anything, at least not in the Gen5 subsection of the forum.

I'm finding that when using the wipers in crummy conditions, I'm left with a large wedge of un-wiped glass in the drivers field of view. Here's a photo with the farthest the drivers side wiper cleans highlighted:

You can even see the smudge from running the wipers after going through a car wash today. When there is road grime, dirt, and salt in play, the entire wedge of glass to the left of that line is near impossible to see through.
I also noticed that the park position of the wipers seems to be underneath the heated, anti-ice area.

I'd like to know if anyone else has this same issue and if so how it might be fixed? IE is it possible to make the wipers go farther than they are now?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’ve had my XSE for 10 months and already changed the wipers once. But I don’t think they are any different from other cars. I’ve tried all kind of brands, etc. Winter is a killer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had my XSE for 10 months and already changed the wipers once. But I don’t think they are any different from other cars. I’ve tried all kind of brands, etc. Winter is a killer.
So far mine seem to be working fine, the wiper just doesn't sweep far enough to the edge of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Mine seems further left than that. Its crappy out today and I have not washed it in a week. Ill snap a pic when I get home from work. Ill also get a pic of the parked position as well. I wonder if you are a spline or two off on your driver arm assembly.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Taking your lead Quickdtoo, I used a ruler...LOL. At the top of the windshield 2.125 from edge of wipe to the molding. 1.625 at the bottom near the fender.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Wiper coverage area is specified in DOT and NHTSA rules. Unless your wiper arms were installed incorrectly, they comply with the law. If they don’t, hey, we have another class action!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Wiper coverage area is specified in DOT and NHTSA rules. Unless your wiper arms were installed incorrectly, they comply with the law. If they don’t, hey, we have another class action!
Or he takes measurements (like Quickdtoo and I did) and asks the dealer to repair/adjust or pops the bolt after making marks and rotates it by two splines or so.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Searched but didn't find anything, at least not in the Gen5 subsection of the forum.

I'm finding that when using the wipers in crummy conditions, I'm left with a large wedge of un-wiped glass in the drivers field of view. Here's a photo with the farthest the drivers side wiper cleans highlighted:

View attachment 150040

You can even see the smudge from running the wipers after going through a car wash today. When there is road grime, dirt, and salt in play, the entire wedge of glass to the left of that line is near impossible to see through.
I also noticed that the park position of the wipers seems to be underneath the heated, anti-ice area.

I'd like to know if anyone else has this same issue and if so how it might be fixed? IE is it possible to make the wipers go farther than they are now?
The wiper motor shaft is splined (like little teeth) on the end. The wiper arm must be removed and re-positioned on the shaft a tooth or two clockwise so that the wiper blade lands in the center of the heating grid. I had to do that to my Subaru Legacy a couple of years ago. If you don't want to do it yourself, take to the stealership and have them do it under a warranty claim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts