Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that other model year RAV4s (and several other makes and models of cars) have been know to exhibit a click from the wiper relay only when the wipers are set to intermittent mode. I've had my RAV4 Hybrid for about two months now, and today is the first time I noticed the relay click. Wow is it annoying! Just checking in to see if anyone else with a RAV4 Hybrid has noticed the same issue. You'd think for as much as we pay for these vehicles that there would be some sound dampening measures in place for the relay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2016 XLE hybrid clicks also.

I agree that it's annoying but I considered it an "undesired feature" instead of a defect! If anyone else out there has brought this to a dealer's attention and had it resolved I would like to hear about that.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
It's possible that when Toyota began producing the gen.4 RAV they changed from using the silent electronic intermittent relays they had used in the gen. 3 RAVs to using mechanical relays with contact points as switches.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I know that other model year RAV4s (and several other makes and models of cars) have been know to exhibit a click from the wiper relay only when the wipers are set to intermittent mode. I've had my RAV4 Hybrid for about two months now, and today is the first time I noticed the relay click. Wow is it annoying! Just checking in to see if anyone else with a RAV4 Hybrid has noticed the same issue. You'd think for as much as we pay for these vehicles that there would be some sound dampening measures in place for the relay.
I never even notice it. I will have to listen, and see if there is a click.

·
Registered
27 Posts
EU/UK spec Hybrids have rain-sensing wipers that are electronic, not relay controlled. However, the rear wiper is relay controlled in the tailgate and audible. Must be a contactor!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi-
Just wondering if there has been any other insights on this. I have a 2016 RAV4 SE AWD and the wiper relay click drives me CRAZY! I have asked the dealer and they said it's normal. There are a million Toyota's I've ridden in that don't have this annoying problem. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? Upgrade/downgrade to a different part?

Thanks in advance,
Kathy
2016 RAV4 SE AWD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts