Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time over the weekend installing a prototype wireless backup camera and have a few pictures to show. Total installation time was about 2 hours.

There was an existing hole next to the right mounting screw that I drilled through to fish the wire through. I squeezed a small flex loom over the wire to cover up any sharp edges.

This is how it looks mounted.

The wire bundle goes to a WiFi transmitter box and has wires to connect power and ground.

Next was to tap into the reverse light, but before that, some panels needed to be removed.

Down to the bare metal and factory wiring.

I fished the wires through the tailgate/body rubber grommet/boot. After removing 3 screws, the taillight popped out and t-taps were used. Black wire is Reverse 12V, White/Black is GND.

The camera was tilted downward by 2 steps so the alignment marks can be straight with the parking space lines. The vehicle was parked in the middle, but due to the license plate location, there's a slight offset.

With another vehicle in the back.

The time it takes to start the app and have a picture come up is currently quite long (~30s), so it's likely the person has already parked the vehicle. This product isn't out in the consumer space yet, but I just want to give a preview of it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oi with all the effort you put into that you could have put in a wired one more easily. Just had to remove the door panel and the kick panels to fish the video wire up. I also tapped the rear power outlet rather than the reverse wires so that it always has power and I can switch to it on demand while driving. Handy when you have the cargo area packed to the ceiling.

My Subaru came with one of the Peak "wireless" ones. Not near as responsive as the wired one I replaced it with. Plus the separate little monitor was silly when the wired one could be hooked up to the head unit.
Peak Wireless 3.5-Inch Back-Up Camera System-789580 - Gander Mountain

These wireless cams only simplify the simplest step in the process of adding a backup cam, running the video wire from the back up to the front. Still have to the same connections.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have some valid points, but in my response.

(1) I'm testing this setup for my company, thus, I took the time to do it right.
(2) I don't have a factory/aftermarket radio with a display, so what good would a wired one do for me?
(3) My rear power outlet is on the driver's side, so it's not realistic for my setup to be mounted with the license plate.

Not every vehicle is as simple as you portray it to be.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You could get a wired monitor as well.

Yeah the power outlet is on the driver's side, but so what? The hard part is getting it through the wiring tube from the door to the rear. Once you're in there it's simple to run the wire over to the driver's side. Plus should something go wrong you're just losing the cig socket fuse rather than the tail lights.

Does your company see a strong business case for this? There are already wireless options out there available in many big box stores and they're standard equipment on new vehicles. So it's an ever shrinking market.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Also, if your company does pursuit this I would recommend sourcing one of these types of cameras instead for a cleaner install. Perhaps offer a cheaper option that lets you just plug in your own camera. Taking a drill to your car is a big ask for the general public and these don't require it.
http://www.amazon.com/Rearview-Backup-Camera-Toyota-Rav4/dp/B00K7YUMDY

This was my hack job installed with some gutter screws which is what I had handy heh. But with this I was able to angle the camera from the license plate area toward the center.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i installed an aftermarket stereo and have my backup camera wired into that...maybe 2 seconds or so after i hit reverse my screen pops up...my camera also uses red, yellow and green lines....i would definitely prefer a faster stand alone unit to a cellphone...other than that not too bad...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thought was that older vehicles may not have all the latest-and-greatest in-vehicle technologies, but almost everyone would have a smartphone/tablet nowadays. So the idea behind the WBC was to add a supplemental part to assist in parking/viewing without touching any of the in-car electronics. I agree wired option has a much faster reaction time since the image is almost instant, whereas using wireless connection adds delay. Since I've been using it more now, I actually find the wireless connection icon show up on my smartphone quickly while in reverse, so by the time I'm ready to back up, the image is there already. Or perhaps it's all in my head because I would want this product to work. :)

Thanks for all the feedback as this is my company's first attempt at something like this and I will pass the information onward. :thumbs_up: In a vehicle without a tailgate, the installation would likely be easier, without using any drilling, so that's part of the reasons why I wanted to show them the difficulty level. I don't know how strongly management feels about this product, but I think they are looking at a dedicated monitor for it as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oi with all the effort you put into that you could have put in a wired one more easily. Just had to remove the door panel and the kick panels to fish the video wire up. I also tapped the rear power outlet rather than the reverse wires so that it always has power and I can switch to it on demand while driving. Handy when you have the cargo area packed to the ceiling.

My Subaru came with one of the Peak "wireless" ones. Not near as responsive as the wired one I replaced it with. Plus the separate little monitor was silly when the wired one could be hooked up to the head unit.
Peak Wireless 3.5-Inch Back-Up Camera System-789580 - Gander Mountain

These wireless cams only simplify the simplest step in the process of adding a backup cam, running the video wire from the back up to the front. Still have to the same connections.

Have a 2011 rav4 v6 limited. Are you saying there is a video wire prewired running from the back of the car to the front? thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, jut that it's simple to do so.
Do you have a video of the various panels I need to remove to get to the front?

BTW, where does the video from the back to the front terminate? Is there a junction box or it goes straight to the navigation system ?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Do you have a video of the various panels I need to remove to get to the front?

BTW, where does the video from the back to the front terminate? Is there a junction box or it goes straight to the navigation system ?
No, I think there was a thread here with pics though. Basically you pull the rear door panel off and setup the camera and feed through the grommet tube thing to the interior. Then you just need to loosen the side panel in the cargo area to stuff the wire in. Then pull up the kick panels on passenger front and rear doors and run with the existing wiring there. Then you're in up under the glove compartment and that gets you behind the head unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, I think there was a thread here with pics though. Basically you pull the rear door panel off and setup the camera and feed through the grommet tube thing to the interior. Then you just need to loosen the side panel in the cargo area to stuff the wire in. Then pull up the kick panels on passenger front and rear doors and run with the existing wiring there. Then you're in up under the glove compartment and that gets you behind the head unit.
Thanks...got it... So, wire connection goes straight to the navigation unit. I have the Toyota original navigation system. Any idea if I need to upgrade it or will the original navigation unit will display the picture. Would like to avoid going through the entire exercise if I am not sure..

Also, presume would be the right time to also install the parking sensor" if I am going to open up the panels..right? ...thanks again.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I've got an aftermarket unit that just takes a rca video cable which is what most cams output. Not sure what support the factory nav has if any. Don't know anything about parking sensors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great tutorials !!

I am ready to install backup camera and this would be great guide, BUT WHY I CANNOT SEE ANY PICTURES??? Instead some warning triangles with exclamation marks???

Thank you.: frown !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts