Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my rav4 in early April 2021. Wireless CarPlay is not functional. Of course, you can play your Apple Music playlists or Pandora or any other source of music just through Bluetooth connectivity, but the actual functioning of Apple CarPlay, with its onscreen PCM interface, only works when you connect it with the USB-C cable in the car's console. I got a smart box, that had well solved this problem, I got CarPlay auto connected each time with no wires. Works better than I expected so far.
Recommeded!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I took delivery of my rav4 in early April 2021. Wireless CarPlay is not functional. Of course, you can play your Apple Music playlists or Pandora or any other source of music just through Bluetooth connectivity, but the actual functioning of Apple CarPlay, with its onscreen PCM interface, only works when you connect it with the USB-C cable in the car's console. I got a smart box, that had well solved this problem, I got CarPlay auto connected each time with no wires. Works better than I expected so far.
Recommeded!

Any promo codes available?

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any promo codes available?
Been eyeing this for a few weeks now. I was going to get it on amazon but they had one of those discount wheels on the site ended up getting 14% off so I just bit the bullit. Came out to 86 bucks 2 week shipping not too bad.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Been eyeing this for a few weeks now. I was going to get it on amazon but they had one of those discount wheels on the site ended up getting 14% off so I just bit the bullit. Came out to 86 bucks 2 week shipping not too bad.
Yep, I had the same feeling about getting another but I already have a dead one sitting in its box under my desk. I can't get myself to put out close to another $100 for another potential device that will also die.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it's working, don't update the firmware. This was what killed mine for no reason. I had updated it many times before. I had the vehicle running so there was no chance of losing power. To my surprise, something in Chinese came up on the RAV4 screen, the phone said update successful. That was the last time it worked. I'd hate to see what happens for an unsuccessful update o_O

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yep, I had the same feeling about getting another but I already have a dead one sitting in its box under my desk. I can't get myself to put out close to another $100 for another potential device that will also die.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it's working, don't update the firmware. This was what killed mine for no reason. I had updated it many times before. I had the vehicle running so there was no chance of losing power. To my surprise, something in Chinese came up on the RAV4 screen, the phone said update successful. That was the last time it worked. I'd hate to see what happens for an unsuccessful update o_O
Probably just another way for the Chinese government to track you and have illicit access to your phone.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Probably just another way for the Chinese government to track you and have illicit access to your phone.
Yep, and even when I sent the company, per their request, videos of the repair methods they had me try, they still required it to be sent back to China on my dime. I read in the Amazon reviews that this was still a practice even if it appears to be a different company. I do have to say that some were able to be resolved by Amazon, but most had issues past the Amazon return window.

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Motorola has nothing to do with this other than licensing their name. Good luck with it.
that's the case with a lot of consumer goods...with this unit it's cheaper than the others out there and comes with motorola's customer support. in my opinion a no brainer if you're in the market for one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts