Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just remove the center. Console for the atmosphere lights, I found there is empty plug next to the cigarette lighter plug and seems working? Any idea to this? It that for the factory wireless charger? Anyone installed the factory one, not the aftermarket… I saw some of them result at overheating.

also, anyone use the wireless apple carplay Adapter? Any recommendations?

thanks

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
497 Posts
Hello,
I just remove the center. Console for the atmosphere lights, I found there is empty plug next to the cigarette lighter plug and seems working? Any idea to this? It that for the factory wireless charger? Anyone installed the factory one, not the aftermarket… I saw some of them result at overheating.

thanks
If you can provide a picture of what you are referring to it might help to confirm, but on my 2019 XLE I had a harness taped up down there that was for the OEM Qi Charger. I haven't torn apart my 2020 but I suspect it has this also.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hello,

thanks
Although no picture, pretty sure the plug is for wireless charger. I took mine out previously and it is like this. You can check the connector on the left lower corner:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can provide a picture of what you are referring to it might help to confirm, but on my 2019 XLE I had a harness taped up down there that was for the OEM Qi Charger. I haven't torn apart my 2020 but I suspect it has this also.
Yes, that is the one I am asking.

have you replaced it with the factory wireless charging pad?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes, that is the one I am asking.

have you replaced it with the factory wireless charging pad?
I'm in the market for an OEM one but don't want to pay retail for it. I saw some on eBay but they are the orange adventure type and would look kinda silly in my Limited.

I posted in the private party sales section here hoping someone on here swapped theirs out and would sell it. I ended up just getting a bunch of bot accounts with 0 posts sending me canned responses about their "friend" having one for sale. 🤣

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hello,

thanks
A couple of things. The OEM wireless charger is not the greatest application of such a simple device. The OEM one in my Limited is very very touchy to where the sweet spot is. Adding a case to the phone reduces this sweet spot even more. I understand the after market versions seem to work better and are cheaper.

Regarding the wireless carplay adapter. They work fine as long as you're comfortable with delays. The interaction between pressing the button for the next song quickly changes the screen to the next song, but there is a delay before the next song starts playing. It's not too long but enough for your mind to think, hey, why isn't ... then it starts playing. I had mine for about 6 months without issue and was starting to get used to the delays. Another delay that is even longer is the initial start up. The car itself takes forever to get to the home screen but then the wireless carplay has about the same length of delay before the carplay screen comes up. The one good thing is it goes directly to carplay where wired you have to select carplay.

Now for the bad news. I was updating the devices software regularly since the delays were noticeably getting shorter. The last update, the screen said it was successful and normally it would restart the device and you're back at the carplay screen. This last time, it progressed normally stating it was successfully updated but no carplay screen. Mind you, all of this was done with the engine running so power was there all the time. Bottom line, the device is dead and the company wants me to sped more money to send it all the way back to China before a replacement is sent. This was even after sending them 2 videos showing the state of deadness. So it's sitting in a box, over $100 wasted. I had to do some resetting of the phone to make wire carplay work properly.

So my recommendation, stay away from wireless carplay. Yes it was convenient and took some getting used to delays but wired just feels better and more "connected" to the system. One less piece to worry about when troubleshooting. If you do go with a wireless adapter, I would recommend using Amazon rather than directly from the manufacturer. This might help if you need a replacement. Oh, and don't do software updates. Successful is not always a true statement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in the market for an OEM one but don't want to pay retail for it. I saw some on eBay but they are the orange adventure type and would look kinda silly in my Limited.

I posted in the private party sales section here hoping someone on here swapped theirs out and would sell it. I ended up just getting a bunch of bot accounts with 0 posts sending me canned responses about their "friend" having one for sale. 🤣
I also found it on eBay, but there is black ones.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple of things. The OEM wireless charger is not the greatest application of such a simple device. The OEM one in my Limited is very very touchy to where the sweet spot is. Adding a case to the phone reduces this sweet spot even more. I understand the after market versions seem to work better and are cheaper.

Regarding the wireless carplay adapter. They work fine as long as you're comfortable with delays. The interaction between pressing the button for the next song quickly changes the screen to the next song, but there is a delay before the next song starts playing. It's not too long but enough for your mind to think, hey, why isn't ... then it starts playing. I had mine for about 6 months without issue and was starting to get used to the delays. Another delay that is even longer is the initial start up. The car itself takes forever to get to the home screen but then the wireless carplay has about the same length of delay before the carplay screen comes up. The one good thing is it goes directly to carplay where wired you have to select carplay.

Now for the bad news. I was updating the devices software regularly since the delays were noticeably getting shorter. The last update, the screen said it was successful and normally it would restart the device and you're back at the carplay screen. This last time, it progressed normally stating it was successfully updated but no carplay screen. Mind you, all of this was done with the engine running so power was there all the time. Bottom line, the device is dead and the company wants me to sped more money to send it all the way back to China before a replacement is sent. This was even after sending them 2 videos showing the state of deadness. So it's sitting in a box, over $100 wasted. I had to do some resetting of the phone to make wire carplay work properly.

So my recommendation, stay away from wireless carplay. Yes it was convenient and took some getting used to delays but wired just feels better and more "connected" to the system. One less piece to worry about when troubleshooting. If you do go with a wireless adapter, I would recommend using Amazon rather than directly from the manufacturer. This might help if you need a replacement. Oh, and don't do software updates. Successful is not always a true statement.
Hello,

good to know about this. I will stop these mods now, seemsno agood idea to do so.

thank you

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm really on the fence about the OEM charger. The aftermarket ones are probably a better bet. I'm just a stickler for that OEM look. :p

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'm really on the fence about the OEM charger. The aftermarket ones are probably a better bet. I'm just a stickler for that OEM look. :p
I agree. Don't get me wrong, with the right case and phone placement, the OEM works fine but just at a minimum. Using wired CarPlay keeps the phone charged just fine so I have found myself not using the wireless charger unless I'm doing a short trip home form the store and don't connect to CarPlay. I will then hit the charger power button and just connect via Bluetooth.

Reactions: WillRav4Tacos

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree. Don't get me wrong, with the right case and phone placement, the OEM works fine but just at a minimum. Using wired CarPlay keeps the phone charged just fine so I have found myself not using the wireless charger unless I'm doing a short trip home form the store and don't connect to CarPlay. I will then hit the charger power button and just connect via Bluetooth.
My work commute is less than 20 minutes, so at this point the Qi charger would be pretty much a luxury purchase and not really needed. I am on the wait list for the Android equivalent of what you had for CarPlay in your Rav4 (AAWireless). It's been a long wait but one of those "nice to have" things if the wireless Android Auto ends up being reliable. 🍻

The cases I use on my Pixel 5 are very thin, mainly I use them to protect the glass around the edges in case of a drop but I should probably sit in a 2021 with the tech package and try out the Qi charger before I go to all the trouble of getting one on eBay. Also, who doesn't love being harassed by hungry Toyota salespeople? 😂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts