Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Just came across this new kickstarter product - seems interesting. Would be nice to put in my new RAV4 especially since it doubles as a phone mount.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/put2go/put2go-car-mount-with-wireless-charging-ultra-conv

Concerns are:

1. Will it work with the vent design in the 2016 RAV4?
2. I heard these chargers get really hot - however this design seems to claim that because its mounted on the AC vent, it's able to stay cool (which does seem believable)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's correct it is still in crowdfunding phase and hasn't yet gone into production. Still, they seem to be doing well with the financing; hopefully it ends up going into mass production. Definitely seems interesting...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered this last week and have been using it for several days now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UXS7958/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a little pricey, but it works beautifully. The iOttie suction cup mount is amazing, I love the one-hand insert/release, and the Qi has been working great without interfering with bluetooth or anything else. It does heat up a little, but not too much. It isn't quite powerful enough to keep up with the three apps I run simultaneously (dash cam, Google maps, and Torque), but almost -- it only discharges about 13% on my ~45 minute commute home, rather than 40%+ without Qi. If I run only the dash cam, with the display turned off, it does charge the battery, if a bit slowly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I ordered this last week and have been using it for several days now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UXS7958/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a little pricey, but it works beautifully. The iOttie suction cup mount is amazing, I love the one-hand insert/release, and the Qi has been working great without interfering with bluetooth or anything else. It does heat up a little, but not too much. It isn't quite powerful enough to keep up with the three apps I run simultaneously (dash cam, Google maps, and Torque), but almost -- it only discharges about 13% on my ~45 minute commute home, rather than 40%+ without Qi. If I run only the dash cam, with the display turned off, it does charge the battery, if a bit slowly.
Does the manual show qi charging output?
the amazon page shows:
Specifications
Input: 5V 2.0A
Charging Port: Micro USB
Car Charger Input: 12-24V
Car Charger Output: 5V 2.0A

I'm curious more about the qi charger output.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dunno about the manual, who reads those?? :)

I use an app called "Ampere" to show charging current, and it tells me I'm getting 640mA when the Qi is active, same as I get on my charging dock at home. I can't swear to its accuracy, though.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I personally don't see Qi charging in this application as any significant advantage since there still needs to be a charging cable to the unit, a magnetic mount and a USB cable to the phone work just fine for me. >:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why wireless?

I personally don't see Qi charging in this application as any significant advantage since there still needs to be a charging cable to the unit, a magnetic mount and a USB cable to the phone work just fine for me. >:D
Let's see what you say a couple of years from now when the USB connector on your phone is wearing out but you don't want to replace your phone yet. I love my Note 3, I don't want to upgrade yet, so I only plug in now when there's no other choice. I'm guessing I can keep the flaky connector working for a couple more years by minimizing the cycles on it.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Let's see what you say a couple of years from now when the USB connector on your phone is wearing out but you don't want to replace your phone yet. I love my Note 3, I don't want to upgrade yet, so I only plug in now when there's no other choice. I'm guessing I can keep the flaky connector working for a couple more years by minimizing the cycles on it.

I have a spare battery and external charger to reduce connecting the phone on a daily basis. USB port replacement is easy and cheap usually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a spare battery and external charger to reduce connecting the phone on a daily basis. USB port replacement is easy and cheap usually.

I'm an EE, I solder very well, and actually just replaced the USB connector on a friend's S3. Yes, it was pretty easy this time, but it isn't always. Sometimes the traces have lifted off the PCB, making it much more difficult or impossible. Sometimes the PCB cracks from the force cycles, also making it impossible to repair. I just like the freedom from worry provided by wireless charging. I do wish it was more powerful, so it could keep up with running multiple apps, the display at full brightness, and at least keep the battery from discharging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts