Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 led strips. 2 in the front and 2 in the back illuminating the ground. I have it wired to a custom switch so that I can turn it off and on as I like.

What I want to do is tap into a fuse or a wire or something that turns on when the door opens.

Basically just want the lights I put in to turn on when I open the doors. I still want to keep my switch in place to be a master switch so I can turn it off and on when I'm in the car, driving, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have 4 led strips. 2 in the front and 2 in the back illuminating the ground. I have it wired to a custom switch so that I can turn it off and on as I like.

What I want to do is tap into a fuse or a wire or something that turns on when the door opens.

Basically just want the lights I put in to turn on when I open the doors. I still want to keep my switch in place to be a master switch so I can turn it off and on when I'm in the car, driving, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
While I'm not familiar with the exact wiring involved, I'd say splice them into the courtesy lights that go on when opening the doors, no?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The dome light always has 12v on one side. The light turns on when a ground is applied to the other side, either from the switch on the light itself, or from the ECM. The ECM provides this ground when it senses a door has been opened, the doors have been unlocked with the remote, and possibly a few other situations.

So if the OP connects the negative side of his LEDS to the wire on the negative side of his dome lights, the LEDS would come on automatically when he unlocked or open the doors.

However the OP also wants to be able to turn on the lights manually at any time with a switch. If he were to ground the same wire with the switch the dome lights would also come on.

A simple solution, would be to use a diode to isolate the ground provided by the switch from the ground from the ECM.

Rather than connect the Led strips directly, I would use a relay for two reasons. First we don't want to take a chance that the extra current from the LED strips might burn out the ECM. Also, since we are using a diode, the voltage across the load will be reduced by. 7 volts. The voltage drop won't affect the relay operation, but it would dim the LEDS

·
Registered
65 Posts
u/Rickl said pretty much everything you need to know.

I can only suggest to order a few of these wire taps Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap they'll make the job much easier. I've used them to wire in my Light Bars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts