Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install a DVR. Have a wiring question. If I need to run power from under the dash, how do you get around the A-pillar airbag? DVR runs on 5v so can't tap into sunroof or mirror. Or am I going to have to find a DVR that runs on 12v?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I installed a 12V lighter socket behind the dash which is wired in parallel with the existing upper lighter socket. A 12v to 5v USB plugin adapter is used to give the DVR its 5v supply. The wires tuck in easily in behind the pillars plastic covers.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,731 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed a 12V lighter socket behind the dash which is wired in parallel with the existing upper lighter socket. A 12v to 5v USB plugin adapter is used to give the DVR its 5v supply. The wires tuck in easily in behind the pillars plastic covers.
The A-pillar says "Airbag" - Is there a plastic cover over that? Or do I have to worry about running a wire down the A-pillar because of the airbar.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The A-pillar says "Airbag" - Is there a plastic cover over that? Or do I have to worry about running a wire down the A-pillar because of the airbar.
On the A pillar, just tuck wire at the top joint and run wire down behind door seal. You can just tuck wire behind door seal or pull door seal out and place wire behind it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts