Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 base. Just installed fog lights in my front bumper, and plugged the bulbs into the factory wiring harness. But when I opened the instrument fuse panel, there isn't a place to plug in the Relay. As per this thread, it should be in the third-from-bottom slot, but there's no plug there.

I'd like to leverage the existing wiring rather, but I'm confused. Is that relay plug taped up in the back and hiding somewhere? Any inputs appreciated!

Here's a pic showing the blank opening where there should be a relay plug:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I just pulled off the steering column cover. I also don't have the grey wire in the headlight switch wiring assembly...

Am I out of luck at this point?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
There is a hole where the relay socket should be. Looks like you will need to go with the rocker switch wiring instead. No big loss you can still install your fog lights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a hole where the relay socket should be. Looks like you will need to go with the rocker switch wiring instead. No big loss you can still install your fog lights.
Meaning I'd wire the fogs independent of the headlight assembly?

If there are wires that go from the fogs to the firewall, surely there is some way to tie a relay into them and to connect that to the headlight switch? Or has nobody figured this out yet?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Meaning I'd wire the fogs independent of the headlight assembly?

If there are wires that go from the fogs to the firewall, surely there is some way to tie a relay into them and to connect that to the headlight switch? Or has nobody figured this out yet?
If there is no internal relay you can't use the car wiring. You wire it independent of the car wiring system. That means no internal relay, no factory harness to connect to, and not using the headlight stalk switch which has the fog light function.

You need to wire the fog lights to a relay in the engine area which connects to the battery, fog light, and toggle switch. Many fog light kits come with a relay. If yours did not come with one you need to purchase one.

The relay should be either 4 or 5 pins. It should have numbers like 87, 86, 30, and 85.
87 connects to - fog lights
86 connects to the ground ( frame of car )
30 connects to fuse which connects to battery (positive side)
85 connects to the toggle switch

Here is a link of how to install the fog lights not using the factory wiring: Project Kancil: DIY Fog Lamp Installation ~ Car Enthusiast: Car Modification | DIY | 2ZZGE,4AGE,4G93T,JBJL,4G13,4G15

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like I am here a bit late. It's been three years already since you posted. You must have done with this project by now. But I would like to share my experience anyway.
Yes, you can use the base of the missing third relay to control your fog light if you have a factory installed harness. Simply plug in your fog lamps into the factory bulb sockets and come back to this relay board. The missing relay has 4 pins. the pair in the right is the input for the relay (the relay receives on/off signal from ECU via the rocker switch through these two pins) and the pair on the left is the output (these two pins acts as a switch for both left and right of your fog lights). The far left pin of this pair is connected directly to the +ve side of fog lamp socket, and the other pin is getting +12 volts from the battery through the factory harness and fuse. Once you short out the output pins, that will complete the circuit through the fog lights and the factory harness and the factory installed fuse (fuse #14 on the instrument panel block), regardless of rocker switch or anything and both of your fog lights will lit. It is the same as if there was a relay present and shorted the output pins when activated by the rocker switch etc.

Now, you may or may not need a relay depending on how powerful your fog bulbs are. If you are using traditional high power bulbs then a relay will save the switch you're gonna use from high current. But if you use LED bulbs, they draw very little current and in that case you may not need a relay. In either case your factory harness will be useful and will save you the hassle of wiring across the firewall etc.

Since my 2006 Base came with a factory installed fog harness but without this relay, and also without the fog option in the rocker switch under steering wheel, one of my option was to replace the whole turn signal switch with a new one that has fog light option, which would be a really too much work for me and hence I did not go to that route. Another option for me was to install the fog light on a different switch still using the factory harness. Much easier. I went with this route. All it took me is to install the bulbs into the factory socket. I used a pair of F2 male terminals (as pictured) to tap into these two pins for snug fit and it worked well. I added an independent switch in series to turn the fog lamps on/off and it worked well for me.

Things to lose with this method:
*Dashboard indicator for fog light will not lit. However, the new switch you are using has a fog indicator in it, that should suffice.
*Unless you go to a little more complexity to have the fog lights work only on low beam, or on ignition only, it will be completely independent fog light, means you will need to manually turn off everytime.
FoG relay.jpg
20200815_011958.jpg
FoG relay.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts