Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered by accident. I had to run into the store with my wife sitting in the car. So I left the keys in the ignition and thought I would lock the doors with the door switch. Cannot be done. Just to let you know. Keep learning new things.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Must be a Sport thing. In my Limited the locks work with the key in all four positions (just inserted, ACC, On, and with the engine running) It also works without the key inserted.

·
Registered
168 Posts
flyingn said:
I think he means engine OFF key in and the door locks will not work. its a safety feature so that not to lock your keys in the truck
Mine will. That's what I meant when I said "just inserted".

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it will work for some 10-20 seconds after ignition is off. Then it will not work anymore (same as window switches). It gives you a bit time to unlock all the doors before it shuts power (very useful for me).

·
Registered
28 Posts
As flyingn stated, it is a safety feature. If you attempt to lock the doors with the door open and the keys in the ignition it will not lock. It's to prevent individuals from locking themselves out of the vehicle. You can lock the doors from the inside (doors closed) with the keys in the ignition (running or not). Obviously, you can lock the door from outside with the spare key (with the other key in the ignition). The door locks have nothing to do with the retained accesory power. That feature only relates to the power windows and moonroof. Power door locks will function with the vehicle off, it wouldn't be very useful if they didn't.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weird this is a new thing. My 2003 Tiburon does this. Maybe all newer cars do it <shrug>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts