Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just the 12th guy on the sales team - last to know..... but I didn't realize that the only thing protecting the inside of the rear under storage compartment (from getting WET!!!!) from the outside under belly of the RAV during several days of rain is... two flimsy soft rubber plugs that a 2-year-old could push out.

I noticed my detailing towels (stored in the area) were like damp laundry today when i went to haul them out to detail the RAV after several days of driving in the rain. Took apart the back ass piece of plastic, pulled back the gray felt and discovered water dampness and rusty bits. See pics. Both soft rubber plugs were in place... but being soft rubber... these ain't and apparently not all that water protective. A simple light poke of the finger easily pushed them right out and onto the driveway. (Slaps head....)

Open hole to the outside.... during plug cleaning.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I took all these plugs and greased them before putting them in.
I should check for them again as I remember it being damp a few months ago during winter.
Maybe a layer of silicone caulking or ,even better, thermoplastic caulking sold at Rona and HomeDepot.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took all these plugs and greased them before putting them in.
I should check for them again as I remember it being damp a few months ago during winter.
Maybe a layer of silicone caulking or ,even better, thermoplastic caulking sold at Rona and HomeDepot.
I'm just wondering why that compartment even has plugs in the first place.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
So you can use the whole thing for a tailgate cooler and pull those to drain?

Wonder if they are utilized by something for the 3rd row.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts