Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this issue for maybe a month where when I turn the key, the engine makes no noise or attempt to turn over. Over the last month, I could simply turn the key a second or maybe fourth time and it would turn over without an issue.
The other day it did it again, but absolutely would not turn over. All accessories worked (headlights, radio, interior) but no turning. We tried jumping from a portable box with no luck, but it finally turned over and on one jumped from another vehicle (it took several minutes on the other car and a failed turn over before it went).
I took it home, and had my old starter tested. O'Reilly told me it was bad. So I installed the new one and was met with the exact same results. Even though my battery and alternator are about 2 months old, I brought both of them back in for testing and both passed. I have checked all fuses and the starter relay and all are operable.
The only other info I have is that when I turn the key and the engine doesn't turn, there is instead a buzzing noise from the engine somewhere around the driver's side of the engine block, battery, and starter (even after replacement). There is no clicking noise when u turn the key and you can't hear the buzzing from inside the car. The security light stops flashing when the key is inserted.
Similar problems point to maybe the fuel pump, but I doubt that is the case as the engine isn't even turning.
Does anyone else have a good guess as to what I could check next.
I was literally going to the dealer this week to trade it in when this started happening. Now I don't want to go until I get this figured out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you've checked all relative fuses and starter - it sounds like either a relay or the Ecu is preventing it from turning over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Check the AM2 fuse under the hood. I could give you better instructions on how to find this fuse if I knew the model year of your RAV4 and what engine was in it.

I don't know how you could prove the start relay circuit (ST Relay) was working properly. You may have removed it and tried it elsewhere, but that doesn't prove the relay is getting the proper voltages in it's socket. You need to remove the relay and place a jumper wire between pins #3 and #5 of the socket to bypass the relay and verify if the starter runs when you turn the key.

The relay socket should have 4 pins in total, arranged in a "T" shape. Pins #3 & #5 are the 2 pins in the vertical shaft of the "T".

·
Registered
12 Posts
This week I had a similar situation with my 2012 RAV4 V6. I left the office to head home, pushed the start button, a brief sound was heard, then it would not start. All lights came on as well as the sound system as usual. I jiggled the shift handle back and forth, tried again with the same result of a brief sound but no start. I turned the steering wheel, tried again and it started. That was earlier this week and since then it has happened once again, turn the steering wheel and it starts.

I'm hoping this does not keep getting worse, if so what could possibly be the cause?

I had a 68 Ford Falcon that required you to jiggle the shift handle to start it.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[...] I turned the steering wheel, tried again and it started. That was earlier this week and since then it has happened once again, turn the steering wheel and it starts.

I'm hoping this does not keep getting worse, if so what could possibly be the cause.
It seems to be due to the way we shift into Park. Same thing happens to me now and then. No real worry. It helps to press the steering wheel left and right a bit without turning it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
This week I had a similar situation with my 2012 RAV4 V6. I left the office to head home, pushed the start button, a brief sound was heard, then it would not start. All lights came on as well as the sound system as usual. I jiggled the shift handle back and forth, tried again with the same result of a brief sound but no start. I turned the steering wheel, tried again and it started. That was earlier this week and since then it has happened once again, turn the steering wheel and it starts.

I'm hoping this does not keep getting worse, if so what could possibly be the cause?
The problem is you parked with the wheels turned to one side, which applies pressure to the steering wheel. The electric column lock is not very strong, so it couldn't release until you turned the wheel to relieve the pressure. I've had relatives call for tow trucks for the same reason because they couldn't turn the key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts