Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2005 Rav4 yesterday, so you can imagine my dread when this morning I go out to start it and I get complete silence.

When I'd go to start the car, all of the dash lights would begin to blink accompanied by a slow ticking sound. No crank from the engine whatsoever.

My first thought was something to do with the battery. But I turned on the headlights and they stayed at full brightness, so maybe not the battery after all.

Then I begin to think it might be the security system. I start playing with the key fob, try hitting the panic button. Nothing seems to change.

Then I notice that the wheel locks. Shortly after that the breaks won't depress. In my old car (Dodge Durango) I had almost the exact same thing happen once. It ended up being a problem with the security system. The solution was to kill the security system.

By this point I had tried all three of my keys, but realized I hadn't tried my alternate (aftermarket) key fob. So I hit lock on that key, and then unlock. And we're in business!

The best I can figure is that I had been using both keys quite a bit earlier in the morning. Maybe I triggered some security thing with one keyset that made the other one not be recognized. I don't know, but I sure was glad that it wasn't going to take a tow.

But anyway, the internet was of no use to me in trying to solve this issue, so I figured I'd post my experience here in case it happens to someone else. I'm guessing it has something to do with a security add on done by the previous owner.

·
Registered
337 Posts
When my battery is low the headlights etc work fine but I just get that clicking sound as well and zero cranking.

However I do not have a security system.

Might want to contact previous owner as it may be something more simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Thank you for the information. When the battery is low, do you get the blinking lights as well?

I bought it from a dealer, so I only know so much about history. But I'm definitely going to get the battery tested and take it up with them if it's on its way out.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
Interesting. Thank you for the information. When the battery is low, do you get the blinking lights as well?

I bought it from a dealer, so I only know so much about history. But I'm definitely going to get the battery tested and take it up with them if it's on its way out.
You need to find out what kind of aftermarket security system you have, and obtain the manuals for it. Without that, you are totally in the dark. When I sell a car, I make sure ALL manuals are in the glove box, especially aftermarket gear. And I turn over ALL the keys and remotes. I only wish everyone did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Tom, in Canada if you phone in the vehicle VIN to a Toyota dealership service department they will give a verbal description of what service work was done at Toyota dealerships and if there are any outstanding recalls, likely works the same at US dealerships.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts