Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie on this forum. My daughter complained of a squealing belt so I brought it in today and determined that the alternator/ac belt was too loose. After tightening it, I hopped in and started the RAV and backed it out of the shop. Later, I was going to run to town and hopped back in and turned the ignition and there was no inclination that it was going to run at all. We've never had any issue like this before.

I've checked fuses, all good that I can see. I have power to the coil packs. I haven't looked into the fuel side of things yet, but I suspect that there is nothing there either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I first started troubleshooting the CEL light would be illuminated when I turned on the key. Now it no longer lights up. When I plugged in the code reader, I couldn't get any link with the system, don't know if it's the reader or the vehicle causing that issue. It is a 1998 2.0 liter, 5 spd, 2wd.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update on the situation. I found today that the lower bolt of the alternator bracket came out which led to the belt getting loose. In the process of tightening the take up bolt, the wires to the crank sensor were pinched. I cut out the damaged section and soldered them back together. The resistance reading is right in the acceptable range for the crank sensor. Still no start. I noticed that the two sensor wires appeared to have some shielding wire around them that I think may go to a ground. Is that shielding material significant to the operation of the sensor?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts