Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didint use my RAV '97 for almost a year, now it wont start. It does not turn over. I put new battery and tried looking for a fuse for the starter, but could not find one.

I do not hear anything, not even a click when I turn the keys to start it. I had one of my friend open and clean the starter but still nothing happens.Is there a certain fuses that I should be checking or relays for that matter?

all lights works including those in the dashboard. Wipers, horns, turn signals also works. But both radiator fans turns on but do not stop if I turn of the keys. I have to remove the neg. on battery to stop it.

Just lost job so I really cant afford to have things check professionaly and I need a reliable car to find a new job.

:( Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
When your friend opened and cleaned the starter did he tried if it worked.
It seems that the starter is not getting any power otherwise you must have heard it clicking. Put a cable from the + of the battery to the + of the starter and see if the starter turns over, if it does you know it is not the starter.
Under the hood are 2 fuse boxes, check the big fuses in there and see if one of those is gone.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hansie, is there a way for me to know which on the starter cable is the + ? I would definitely do what you advice.

And when you said "big fuses", do you mean the ones in the bigger fuse box inside the hood?

Thanks to both of you

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes , the big fuses are in the bigger fuse box under the hood.

Check with your friend first if he checked if the starter worked after he cleaned it. Check if all wires are attached to the starter, the small one is the one that comes from the ignition. Ask your friend to show you the plus wire(if he can pull it apart and clean it he can show you the plus wire for sure)

It really sounds like the starter doesn't get any power because you don't hear the click(even if the starter is broken in 99% of the cases you hear the click)
If you have a mutli/power tester try if there is any power on the wires after when you turn the key.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hansie said:
Yes , the big fuses are in the bigger fuse box under the hood.

Check with your friend first if he checked if the starter worked after he cleaned it. Check if all wires are attached to the starter, the small one is the one that comes from the ignition. Ask your friend to show you the plus wire(if he can pull it apart and clean it he can show you the plus wire for sure)

It really sounds like the starter doesn't get any power because you don't hear the click(even if the starter is broken in 99% of the cases you hear the click)
If you have a mutli/power tester try if there is any power on the wires after when you turn the key.
That's good advice^^ Just an idea...check all connections for signs of oxidation(green/white copper). Since it's been sitting for a year, the connections may be oxidised(sp?) enough that the current isn't getting thru. Like said, a multitester is good thing to have in this case... :? And this may make me sound stupid but, make sure all wire harnesses are engaged fully. Sometimes the simple stuff gets by us...me included. :roll: :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts