Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 RAV4 V6. It happened to me twice recently that, where I tried to start the car, the car won't start - it just cranks, with rpm showing around 300~400, and I can smell the gas after the exhaust pipe. Last time it started I've tried for several times, but I ran out of fortune today.

I just replaced the battery recently, and the terminal voltage is 12.3V even when I turn on the high lights on. Given this, I think that the starter and fuel ejector should be working. Can you suggest what's wrong with my car?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With the description I am not sure if you are doing this or not. When the vehicle does not start the first time, do not turn the keys all the way to the "OFF" position, instead allow it to stay in the "Accessory" position.

The reason for this is, every time the key is turned from the "Off" position the fuel pump will prime the lines. Because the fuel pump is engaged each time you will actually flood the vehicle and smell the gas.

If you forget this and smell the gas because you have tried several times and turned the key to the "Off" position each time. Simply place your foot on the gas pedal and hold it to the floor while cranking the engine over. You may need to repeat this a couple of time letting the key go back to the "Accessory" position (to cool the starter) and then turn the engine over again still holding the pedal to the floor. When the vehicle starts let go of the Gas pedal so as to not over rev the engine.

Before you worry about pressing the gas pedal to the floor and think "isn't this going to flood the engine even more". The answer is "NO". The gas pedal actually only operates the butterfly in the throttle body allowing more air into the engine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took the car to mechanics and it turns out to be the problem of immobilizer. Looks strange but the car is running good after we fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Canon101, you just saved me a huge headache and maybe a bunch of money (if a mechanic would not be honest). My wife's 2010 RAV4 wouldn't start the other morning. It would turn over, seemed to want to start every once in a while, but wouldn't. I tried cranking it, turning the key all the way off and then starting again.

With the holidays I got busy and she just used the 2011 RAV4 that we also have. I suspected that the fuel pump was bad, and did some searches. But before I got further into the matter, I went out to the RAV4 forum and found your suggestion of only turning the key to the accessory position and pushing the gas peddle all the way down. It worked immediately! If you were in the St. Louis area I'd take you to dinner!! Thanks for a great suggestion and for taking a huge weight off of my mind, thinking I was going to have to spend a bunch of time and money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts