Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well lol, where do i begin. she started fine this morning, no hint of a problem. so im going to leave, she started, but idled very roughly at around 200-400rpm and then died. i started again, and she again did the same and died. i started 1 more time, and gave it some gas, it worked a little, but then died again. so now she wont even start, just turns over and never a thing. almost acts like its out of gas, but i have well over half a tank. hrmm any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Perhaps the fuel pump just bit the dust. Clogged fuel filter even. Both... That's where I'd begin. If you turn the key to the on position without starting it, you should be able to hear the fuel pump turn on if its working. Might have to put your head against the floor in the cargo area to hear it (maybe). It should be loud enough to hear though. It only is audible for a few seconds usually. Later

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it started working fine, i got it to turn over, and gave it some gas, and held her at 2K rpm for about 15 sec, and then she would idle normal. im thinking fuel filter because this has kind of happened before, but i "ran" it out of gas. then when i finally got to a gas station and refueled, it has around 1.7 gallons left, so why it wouldnt start was beyond me. my step dad suggested fuel filter, which is what i was thinking as well. ill buy one soon and replace it, hopefully that is it. thanks anyways guys

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
astraltx, let me give you a piece of advice. My dad, [who is retired now] had gasoline stations for about 30 years. I guess he knows all the tricks of the trade. Dirty gas can be pumped in and gas station. Once a hurricane slammed into Puerto Rico. My dads gas station [well, one of them] was at a foot of a hill. Water came down the road and streets like a river. Some of it got into the 10,000 gallon tank. When we realized what had happen. We quickly called Texaco, and they rushed a cleaning team over. Mean while, we kept selling gas. A truck of gas goes into the $50,000.00 dollar area. I guess my old man wasn't about to loose all that money. I don't think your local Gas Station wouldn't either. These sorts of things tend to happen once in a while. My advice is check with friends that pump gas at your local station, or where you pump gas. Their tanks might need cleaning. You can tell the owners what is happening. He might even want to brive you. They would want to keep it quiet, so you won't start a panic. If they have a contract with, Texaco, Gulf, Exxon or what ever. At no charge they can have their tanks clean. If not, buy your gas from some other station. You might ask, “Why should I get involved.” Well, right now you’re paying for the consequences, aren’t you? :cry: :shock: If they don't, they can be penalized and get their license revoked :?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Try a different gas station for a few tanks and see if the problem keeps coming back. Or, it could have been some air in the fuel line, because that does happen, although not very often on modern cars.

I remember this one time two years ago, I went to start my Rav in the morning, and the engine would crank but wouldn't start up. I figured I flooded the engine somehow, or got some air in the fuel line, but I thought you couldn't flood an FI engine. By the way I never pump the gas pedal or hold it down when I start any car, because it's not needed. So I kept cranking the engine, 5 seconds on, 10 seconds off, and finally after about a minute or so the engine fired right up. That was the first time that problem ever happened, and it hasn't happened since.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea man it is running fine now, like a dream as always, so it has to either be that fuel filter or some bad gas. sad part is i run nothing but name brand (shell, chevron, exxon) but o well. i used to also run nothing but premium in my previous car, but its a tad expensive in the rav (former car was a 90 crx si). i might start doing it again, it makes a helluva difference. i dont care what people say, the higher octane rating, the cleaner burning the fuel and more power ur car will make. why do you think they sell race fuel (105 -130 octane) lol it makes sense. 93 is the best they sell in texas, so i might switch back. i somehow feel im commiting a crime ever time i fill up and drop 89 in there. also might buy some of that octane boost to clean the system out. itll do nothing but good so why not

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I had the same problem with my RAV 2000. My dealer had to clean the Throttle body... cost me about $50... now she works like a charm...

Rocket :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts