Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, 1st time Rav4 new owner 2000 manual 5 spd w/ 39k orig miles, purchased on ebay.
Car is pretty tight, pristine all around, drove it home approx. 200 miles.. no problems.
Has been sitting in my driveway about 10 days and wont turn over. Got it going a couple of times when I a. held down clutch pedal b. pumped the clutch pedal, but just started backing it out when it stalled, and felt like no clutch.
Love the car and everything about it, but heck of a way to begin.
Any first thoughts or opinions appreciated. Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
The problem is that you press the clutch and the car will not start. If so, there is a bolt on the wall just behind the clutch pedal. This bolt is a stoppage, try removing it. Then try to start it. That was a quick fix that I was suggested when my RAV4 failed to start. My RAV4 is a 1997 model. Yours might be different so check it first. If you can post a picture, better. The guys can help you out better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mensajero, Thank you. Did not find a bolt, but a switch with white plastic actuator "button". Clutch arm is not contacting the button, unless I virtually push the clutch pedal into the floor. When I depress the button with my hand, while turning ignition... starts right up. Should have looked under there initially. Well, a learning experience I guess. My first manual trans vehicle since my 65 military Land Rover...(and that doesn't have any actuator buttons). I think the clutch needs adjusting, or at least the pedal linkage. Thanks again. I'm really psyched about this Rav.(even if somewhat paranoid) Will post a pic tomorrow when it's light out. One more question.. should there be a tube or cover over the steering column linkage under the dash behind the pedals? I'm looking at exposed linkage under there.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Mensajero, Thank you. Did not find a bolt, but a switch with white plastic actuator "button". Clutch arm is not contacting the button, unless I virtually push the clutch pedal into the floor. When I depress the button with my hand, while turning ignition... starts right up. Should have looked under there initially. Well, a learning experience I guess. My first manual trans vehicle since my 65 military Land Rover...(and that doesn't have any actuator buttons). I think the clutch needs adjusting, or at least the pedal linkage. Thanks again. I'm really psyched about this Rav.(even if somewhat paranoid) Will post a pic tomorrow when it's light out. One more question.. should there be a tube or cover over the steering column linkage under the dash behind the pedals? I'm looking at exposed linkage under there.
No, it doesn't. Regarding the clutch button, you just extend the length of the white button. Also, check the brake fluid cup that it has enough fluid. Also, the brake pads, they might be low. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorted out

Mensajero,
Want to thank you again. Apparently problem was brake fluid level. Was at low line. Topped it off to high line and starts easily, shifts easily. I dont really understand how more fluid = longer pedal movement (to engage button), but all ok. and loving driving this vehicle. Gracias, Larry

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Mensajero,
Want to thank you again. Apparently problem was brake fluid level. Was at low line. Topped it off to high line and starts easily, shifts easily. I dont really understand how more fluid = longer pedal movement (to engage button), but all ok. and loving driving this vehicle. Gracias, Larry
Regarding the "HOW?" the fluid service both the Clutch and the Brake system. Sometimes the level of the Brake fluid is low and also, some mm of the clutch are worn with the constant shifting. Since you have to push the pedal, their isn't enough fluid so the clutch can engage. That was why I also mention to check the brake pads.

Hay, we're done here. Anything else, you know where to find me. :thumbs_up:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts