Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

"woop woop" sound from rear drum brakes

11K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  george@CASE 
#1 ·
My little nephew came up with the "sound". It happens on moderate braking.

It's worse when I just start driving, but eventually disappears after 20 mins of driving. However, long periods of not braking, such as when on the highway, brings it back. If I leave it parked for a couple of hours, same thing happens.

The frequency of the "woop woop" sound is directly related to the speed of the car when I apply the brakes, and it eventually slows down and disappears as the car slows.

Seems like the pads are rubbing against a certain point in the drum, which causes the sound.

Any thoughts? How hard is it to work with drum brakes? Will I be able to take it out and inspect the inside?

#4 ·
Usually any pulsating sound from the rear drum brakes is caused by a warped drum, but that also usually causes a pulsation through the brake pedal along with it.

#5 ·
The right rear drum on mine is doing the same thing. The woop-woop or pulsing brake squeal isn't particularly loud and since it goes away after a few miles and I don't feel a pulsing brake pedal either, I haven't been overly concerned, just assuming it needs the drum resurfaced the next time it's in the shop.

G
#6 ·
My experience...

First time, Dealer told me that it was dust in the drums.
Second time, Dealer told me that the drums needed to be evened.

Never had problems again for 2 years now.

It was funny that when I bought my first 01 RAV brand new, it was doing that a week later and they fixed it without charge..

I think sometimes the brakes are probably not set properly or something and this problem comes up....

#7 ·
I just had my 45K mile service and part of the service is to inspect and clean the brakes. I just let them know that I hear that sound in the rear brakes.

When I got it back, the sound was gone and they even readjusted the rear brakes. Now, my braking is much more responsive. It's amazing that all the while my rear brakes weren't contributing as much to the braking as they can :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.