Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a trip that took me through the worst part of winter storm Ezekiel...Superior, WI, and Duluth/Two Harbors, MN. Big test was pulling out of my motel parking spot without shoveling any of the snow around it. I do have Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 tires. The RAV4 pulled out of the spot like a champ. No issues whatsoever.

Spent the entire weekend going up and down the Minnesota North Shore and I did not have a single issue all weekend. First photo was taken in the middle of the storm. Second photo after we returned from breakfast.
76519E32-50CF-4902-954A-05DA89FB109E.jpeg

0FF7C6FD-7538-4690-BD8D-7C3F4095BEF2.jpeg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Cash,

I concur. My experience driving the hybrid 2019 is amazing. The traction control is responsive and I had power to the rear wheels at 40 mph.

Thanks for the pictures.

Russ
System will send power up to 71 MPH on sport or trail mode.
Hands down in 🥶 snowy icy conditions the best handling automobile I’ve owed!!! Still have factory Dunlop’s too!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice! We live not to far from Duluth but only got 8 inches of that monster storm. I had to take the RAV4 for a drive in the middle of it. It did fantastic on my new Blizzaks. But as someone pointed out, Blizzaks are almost cheating. Note that I took off the crappy Michelin Premier All-seasons that my RAV4 came with. They’re terrible for winter driving.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Have WS80 on our 2014 Camry... still can’t touch the RAV4 XSE with factory Grandtreks
Those Grandtreks must be some fantastic tires to be able to outperform the marshmallow soft Blizzaks in the ice and snow in any performance metric other than acceleration...even if it was on a Camry.

My factory tires (Toyos) were ok in acceleration but just useless in any braking on slippery intersections or cornering. Wish mine was equipped with the Grandtreks from the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those Grandtreks must be some fantastic tires to be able to outperform the marshmallow soft Blizzaks in the ice and snow in any performance metric other than acceleration...even if it was on a Camry.

My factory tires (Toyos) were ok in acceleration but just useless in any braking on slippery intersections or cornering. Wish mine was equipped with the Grandtreks from the factory.
Mine came with the Toyos and I decided to replace them with ws90s this fall. Glad I didnt waste my money.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be fair though, those WS80s are awesome tires and even made my 1WD Corolla a rock star in the ice and snow.
If I didn’t head up north so much I would keep my regular tires. But doing landscape photography I spend a lot of time around Lake Superior. It’s definitely worth switching to the WS80s. They are just awesome.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The last time I put a winter tire on a car was in the 60's. In the late 70's, I did manage to get a 69 SAAB stuck in a park. Shouldn't have been in there anyway, but we had taken the kids sledding. I walked home, got the 74 SAAB and pulled the 69 out of the drift. This was in Northeast Iowa.
2010 Vibe, 2016 Camry and 2017 RAV have only had the tires they came with.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have driven only on all season tires combined with AWD on all my cars never had an issue. The real test would be when i drive rav4 with stock through mountain pass

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I didn’t head up north so much I would keep my regular tires. But doing landscape photography I spend a lot of time around Lake Superior. It’s definitely worth switching to the WS80s. They are just awesome.
Winter tires make a huge difference in snow and ice. Any AWD system can’t help you if the tires don’t have traction. The tire compound is softer with a snow tire. An “all season” tire turns into a hockey puck in temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. It truly can mean the difference between stopping or sliding into another car. I can’t wait to test out the Blizzak DM-V2s when I take delivery of my Rav hybrid at the end of December! I hope there is a blizzard! 👍

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just returned from a trip that took me through the worst part of winter storm Ezekiel...Superior, WI, and Duluth/Two Harbors, MN. Big test was pulling out of my motel parking spot without shoveling any of the snow around it. I do have Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 tires. The RAV4 pulled out of the spot like a champ. No issues whatsoever.

Spent the entire weekend going up and down the Minnesota North Shore and I did not have a single issue all weekend. First photo was taken in the middle of the storm. Second photo after we returned from breakfast. View attachment 147494
View attachment 147495
Awesome pics.👍 I haven’t seen any other photos or posts about handling in that much snow. We had 18” on Monday in NY. If it did well in that snow, the car will be good where I live too. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
239 Posts
System will send power up to 71 MPH on sport or trail mode.
Hands down in 🥶 snowy icy conditions the best handling automobile I’ve owed!!! Still have factory Dunlop’s too!!
Great info. I will need to try sport mode next big snow storm.

I was in regular mode and I had power at 40 mph, but on the freeway I couldn’t engage the rear tires.

I do think 71 mph may be a little on the fast side in snow.

I felt like 40 mph in 10 inches of wet snow was pushing it.

Russ

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great info. I will need to try sport mode next big snow storm.

I was in regular mode and I had power at 40 mph, but on the freeway I couldn’t engage the rear tires.

I do think 71 mph may be a little on the fast side in snow.

I felt like 40 mph in 10 inches of wet snow was pushing it.

Russ
I finally got to drive it on bad roads without the Wifey! 😎 Really wanted to see what it could do?Nice long flat hi way.. snowed 6-10 inches roads were plowed but still completely snow packed... thought what the hell! From a complete stop...Pinned 🦶 it to the floor in Trail mode!!! AWD on the MID screen...power to the rear didn’t give up until 72mph! Damn thing is impressive!!! 🤩

·
Registered
85 Posts
The last time I put a winter tire on a car was in the 60's. In the late 70's, I did manage to get a 69 SAAB stuck in a park. Shouldn't have been in there anyway, but we had taken the kids sledding. I walked home, got the 74 SAAB and pulled the 69 out of the drift. This was in Northeast Iowa.
2010 Vibe, 2016 Camry and 2017 RAV have only had the tires they came with.
Your story reminds me of a roofing contractor I used to know. His entire life he refused to wear safety harness , always arguing that that’s an overkill.
he was in such high demand most developers looked the other way.
He died in 2017, fell off the roof.
true story. He was 62 years old.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your story reminds me of a roofing contractor I used to know. His entire life he refused to wear safety harness , always arguing that that’s an overkill.
Ummm. OK?

·
Registered
345 Posts
We get tons of snow here and people are like that here thinking all seasons are fine. Sure if you like driving 30 below the limit white knuckling it all the time with no ability to stop. No thanks!

I used to be like that thinking it was a waste of money until I drove a car with winters and was blown away at the difference. Well worth it if where you live gets snow and ice otherwise there is no point.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts