Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I finally got to drive it on bad roads without the Wifey! ? Really wanted to see what it could do?Nice long flat hi way.. snowed 6-10 inches roads were plowed but still completely snow packed... thought what the hell! From a complete stop...Pinned ? it to the floor in Trail mode!!! AWD on the MID screen...power to the rear didn’t give up until 72mph! Damn thing is impressive!!! ?
tme,
72 mph. That is impressive in the snow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your story reminds me of a roofing contractor I used to know. His entire life he refused to wear safety harness , always arguing that that’s an overkill.
he was in such high demand most developers looked the other way.
He died in 2017, fell off the roof.
true story. He was 62 years old.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not understand why people insist driving on so-called all-weather tires. They are just a bad compromise. Summer tires and winter tires have completely different rubber blends and tire patterns. The right tire provides better safety margins to avoid accidents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agreed with the original post! I just returned from driving through ~1ft of standing snow on the entirety of the 530 mile drive between northern CA & Boise, ID. My new 2019 XLE was fantastic in the snow, even with the factory Dunlop tires on.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Question. In snow, should we use Trail mode? How different is it than Normal mode? Thanks.
I kept mine in Eco mode the entire time and didn’t experience any issues. Actually, I found that it was nice since it better controlled the acceleration.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks installed yesterday - I've always switched to winter tires, and strongly recommend them! My Prius always did great in the snow, even on our steep driveway

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love the Blizzak's and actually have a 1 year old set in 17" in my garage...
I "was" going to purchase a set of 17 inch wheels for the Rav to use the 17" Blizzaks on
( My limited has 18" wheels now )

But, I was SO impressed with the winter performance with the stock tires, I will "stick" to the stock setup...

I will keep the 1 year old Blizzak's just in case I made a poor choice .....

·
Registered
363 Posts
We get tons of snow here and people are like that here thinking all seasons are fine. Sure if you like driving 30 below the limit white knuckling it all the time with no ability to stop. No thanks!

I used to be like that thinking it was a waste of money until I drove a car with winters and was blown away at the difference. Well worth it if where you live gets snow and ice otherwise there is no point.
I tend to drive to match the environment. In my over 60 years behind the wheel, I have seen a far greater percentage of four wheel drive vehicles in the ditch than rear wheel drive. Always made me smile to see a clapped out old Chevy pulling a jacked up four wheel drive F150 out of the ditch.
30 below the limit? Never once late for work because of weather. Control of ones right foot is important. When Mother Nature gets rambunctious, drivers shouldn't. If not, keep a friend with an old junker and a log chain on speed dial.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I tend to drive to match the environment. In my over 60 years behind the wheel, I have seen a far greater percentage of four wheel drive vehicles in the ditch than rear wheel drive. Always made me smile to see a clapped out old Chevy pulling a jacked up four wheel drive F150 out of the ditch.
30 below the limit? Never once late for work because of weather. Control of ones right foot is important. When Mother Nature gets rambunctious, drivers shouldn't. If not, keep a friend with an old junker and a log chain on speed dial.
Well said, Words of Wisdom

·
Registered
179 Posts
When Mother Nature gets rambunctious, drivers shouldn't. If not, keep a friend with an old junker and a log chain on speed dial.
While it goes without saying, I'll say it anyway. Be sure Jethro knows the proper location for hooking his logging chain. I've seen too many damaged undercarriages and/or components from a well-intentioned tug gone wrong.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yep, AWD has attributed to a lot of false confidence on the road. People realize too late that AWD doesn’t do much for stopping or hard cornering even though acceleration was great.

I take several road trips at the heart of winter through mountain passes with big variances in altitude. Will be sticking with my winters where somehow “driving to the conditions” seem to be much much faster than cars with all seasons doing the same :)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Why not chain up too!
It really all depends on the conditions you drive in. I’ve lived/driven in Midwest winters the majority of my 60 plus years and most of that time GOOD all-season tires have been more than good enough, whether FWD/AWD. You always have to drive for the conditions, no matter what tires.
I did live in Washington/Idaho for years and used snows because we were on mountain passes regularly. I’ve even been stuck driving studded snows. If I lived in higher altitude where feet of snow on significantly steep inclines/declines/curves throughout the winter I’d always have snows and/or chains.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Most modern SUVs are fine in the snow, including the Traverse, Explorer etc.

Much older generations are fine. Why is this a surprise

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not chain up too!
It really all depends on the conditions you drive in. I’ve lived/driven in Midwest winters the majority of my 60 plus years and most of that time GOOD all-season tires have been more than good enough, whether FWD/AWD. You always have to drive for the conditions, no matter what tires.
I did live in Washington/Idaho for years and used snows because we were on mountain passes regularly. I’ve even been stuck driving studded snows. If I lived in higher altitude where feet of snow on significantly steep inclines/declines/curves throughout the winter I’d always have snows and/or chains.
Read #26.
Some day you might need that little extra margin real winter tires give you...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Question. In snow, should we use Trail mode? How different is it than Normal mode? Thanks.
BA

I drive through 10 inches of snow in normal mode with zero problem.

The traction control system works great and had rear wheel power at 40 mph

I read if in trail you can have power to the rear wheels up to 71 mph.

Personally, there is no way I am driving 71 mph in the snow. 40 mph felt plenty fast.

Last snow storm in Utah last week
resulted in 4 fatalities, 950 accidents and 10 Utah Highway Patrol cars hit on the roadside while helping folks driving too fast for conditions.

One police officer was also forced to jump over a barrier while outside his car on the roadside.

Drivers are advised if stuck or broken down to stay seat belted and in the car and call the Utah Hwy patrol roadside service.

Folks, it doesn’t matter how great our AWD Rav 4 hybrid operates in the snow if we can’t stop fast enough.

Russ

·
Registered
741 Posts
This thread is amusing. It's a cute ute with a basic level awd system. Any modern cuv will do fine in snow. Including Subaru, Honda, Ford, GM etc.

If you want real performance get a real truck like a 4runner or a tahoe.

And the posters who talk about stopping are right. That's all that matters.

Test after test shows that a sedan with snow tires often outperform a cute ute like rav4 with regular tires.

While our 2019 rav is fine, it is definitely lightweight and cheap feeling compared to our 4runner which feels like a bank vault.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts