Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This thread is amusing. It's a cute ute with a basic level awd system. Any modern cuv will do fine in snow. Including Subaru, Honda, Ford, GM etc.

If you want real performance get a real truck like a 4runner or a tahoe.

And the posters who talk about stopping are right. That's all that matters.

Test after test shows that a sedan with snow tires often outperform a cute ute like rav4 with regular tires.

While our 2019 rav is fine, it is definitely lightweight and cheap feeling compared to our 4runner which feels like a bank vault.
Those are the ones I see most on the ditch, the heavy duty ones. Because the drivers feel invincible and pass you doing 80 mph during any conditions. The typical "get out of the way, hold my beer". People that grew up with snow seem to be the worse due to overconfidence.

It seems that people tend to believe the hybrid will not cut it. Don't know why, but even my wife's Prius (when she had it) with snow tires did fine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Those are the ones I see most on the ditch, the heavy duty ones. Because the drivers feel invincible and pass you doing 80 mph during any conditions. The typical "get out of the way, hold my beer". People that grew up with snow seem to be the worse due to overconfidence.

It seems that people tend to believe the hybrid will not cut it. Don't know why, but even my wife's Prius (when she had it) with snow tires did fine.
Agreed. Prius with snow tires is better than the Rav4 with stock tires. Lots of people here think they are invincible because the rav4 is a "suv" hahahha

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
933 Posts
While our 2019 rav is fine, it is definitely lightweight and cheap feeling compared to our 4runner which feels like a bank vault.
Of course when it comes to stopping on ice or snow, which would you prefer. Less mass or more weight to cut through the snow?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Of course the benefit of winter tires is increased margins of safety in inclement weather, but there is another upside (if you have a dedicated set of wheels for your winter tires).

Here are the tires/wheels from the 2020 RAV (less than 5 miles on 'em) headed to the barn to spend the long winter far from salt, brine, potholes and curb kisses.

PS: I got 10 winters out of the last set of winter tires which were Firestone Winterforces. After 10 years, they still had tread left but were hard as rocks.

RAV4 tires.JPG

·
Registered
255 Posts
This thread is amusing. It's a cute ute with a basic level awd system. Any modern cuv will do fine in snow. Including Subaru, Honda, Ford, GM etc.

If you want real performance get a real truck like a 4runner or a tahoe.

And the posters who talk about stopping are right. That's all that matters.

Test after test shows that a sedan with snow tires often outperform a cute ute like rav4 with regular tires.

Tag

The problem I have with snow tires is the tire pressure sensors.

You must mount and balance in the fall and repeat the process in the Spring.

I would consider winter tires if I could mount the tires on their own set of wheels.
Gas mileage is also a factor. I purchased winter tires for my daughter’s civic and the gas mileage dropped by 20%.

Russ

·
Registered
179 Posts
The problem I have with snow tires is the tire pressure sensors.

You must mount and balance in the fall and repeat the process in the Spring.

Russ
Dedicated winter wheels solve that problem. Tire Rack sells steel wheel and extra sensors. But I bought my 16" steel wheels on Flea-bay and the sensors from an Amazon seller. Oh, and you need conical, steel lug nuts, not the ones used to secure your aluminum wheels.

So yes, the initial expense of tires/wheels/sensors/lugs/mount & balance is steep, but it's a quick swap each spring and fall. I learned that the 5th Gen RAVs can store the ID codes for up to 10 sensors, so once your extra set is initialized (by the dealer, BTW), the car remembers both sets of tires (and 2 spares, if need be). By the way, I am not aware of any dealer or chain tire store who will mount new tires on wheels without the pressure sensors, so be prepared. Also, I had good luck with the Amazon sensors I bought for +/- $100 for the set. I got a quote from the dealership parts counter and they wanted $90 EACH. Vaseline extra.

One would probably pay $100 to $150 to dismount, mount, balance and re-install every fall and spring. You do the math.

PS: I also might add that if you have an AWD RAV, you will need a set of 4 winter tires. Back in the day, when rear wheel drive was the most common configuration, a pair of "snow tires" on the rear would suffice. But not with AWD and increasingly, not even with FWD. Most tire stores won't even sell & install just a pair of winter tires on a FWD or AWD vehicle due to the potential adverse handling impacts.

Bottom line, plan to pay $1000-$1200 initially for a complete set up. My last set of dedicated wheels/tires lasted 10 seasons spread over 3 different RAV4s. The tire store never charged me once to swap them twice a year, so I thought the cost, amortized over 10 years of $100/year was a damn good deal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do not understand why people insist driving on so-called all-weather tires. They are just a bad compromise. Summer tires and winter tires have completely different rubber blends and tire patterns. The right tire provides better safety margins to avoid accidents.
Are you referring to “all-season” or “all-weather” tires? All-season tires have been around for decades (Also known as M+S) and are by far the most common tire you seen on cars and crossovers, including the RAV4. They are fine all-year round, but typically don’t do that well on snow and ice. In some places with heavy snow, M+S tires are inadequate. “All-weather” tires, on the other hand, are relatively new and have the 3Peaks symbol on then, meaning they are fully winter rated tires. While they may not be quite as good as blizzaks in the winter, they are darn close. And unlike dedicated winter tires, all-weather tires can be used year round. I put Michelin Crossclimates on my Rav4 and on my FWD Kira Niro. These are the highest rated overall tires by Consumer Reports. We’ve had plenty of snow and ice in Colorado this season, and the Crossclimates are working very well. I can slide them on ice if I intentionally lock the brakes up, but they are holding a grip much better than the stock Dunlops (M+S) that came on my Rav4. They are quieter than the Dunlops too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had my Michelin XIce-3 tires on for a week now and i am getting 5L/100km for mileage (or 47 mpg). So I gotta say I am impressed with the mileage on these.

I consider winter tires on a second set of rims a good investment if you keep your cars for >5 years

·
Registered
22 Posts
Winter tires make a huge difference in snow and ice. Any AWD system can’t help you if the tires don’t have traction. The tire compound is softer with a snow tire. An “all season” tire turns into a hockey puck in temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. It truly can mean the difference between stopping or sliding into another car. I can’t wait to test out the Blizzak DM-V2s when I take delivery of my Rav hybrid at the end of December! I hope there is a blizzard! ?
Im using DM V2's here in Canada, so far they are amazing!

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
933 Posts
No one using studs??? I remember when you were considered certifiable if you did not have studded tires in the winter.
Lots of places prohibit studs because of the wear on the roads they cause and people running them year round.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wish I did more research on here before buying my winter tires. I got them at Toyota when I bought the car, but didn't get wheels, and now they're going to charge me a fortune to change each season. I usually get tires at Costco so the changeover only costs $40, rebalance and all. Any easy way out of this? or am I stuck paying Toyota a fortune every 6 months? Argh, I wasn't thinking - I was too excited about my new car!

·
Registered
933 Posts
How long will you keep the car? Is it worth while to get another set of wheels, TPMS senders and mount/balance over the life of your planned ownership?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Blizzaks do great on the RAV4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I bought the same rims on Tire Rack in the gunmetal silver color for a set of Blizzak DM-V2 tires because I really liked the way those looked on your Rav. They look awesome in person?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wish I did more research on here before buying my winter tires. I got them at Toyota when I bought the car, but didn't get wheels, and now they're going to charge me a fortune to change each season. I usually get tires at Costco so the changeover only costs $40, rebalance and all. Any easy way out of this? or am I stuck paying Toyota a fortune every 6 months? Argh, I wasn't thinking - I was too excited about my new car!
Tire Rack sells reasonably-priced steel wheels for winter tires. TPM sensors, too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How long will you keep the car? Is it worth while to get another set of wheels, TPMS senders and mount/balance over the life of your planned ownership?
Planning on at least 10 years - TBH never considered wheels before reading this forum.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts