Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 2017 Rav4 Hybrid XLE. Just wish it was given the option to be plug-in capable. Perhaps a premium for an upgrade to Li-Ion as in the PIP etc?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes I would have paid 5k USD, gas is 3-4 than in US here.

We considered the Outlander PHEV but the RAV4 is much more modern

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
We have Outlander PHEV's as Company cars where I work, absolutely awful to drive and rather thirsty when the batteries run out.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
No.
There's already too little room in the cabin so bigger battery is a bad idea. Being tethered to a plug-in is also not all its cracked up to be.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Never too late. Hoping within 5 years, we can swap out battery and replace it with a much energy dense/higher capacity version.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I wouldn't want an all electric vehicle, but a Rav4 PHEV that's like the Prius Prime would be outstanding, having your cake and eating it too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Into my opinion the battery is just right size. The battery is charged by the ICE and the charging range is between 40-60 %. There is enough room left in the battery for extra charging of braking and down hill driving. In the city you need to drive so that all accellarations are done by the ICE and then cruising by the battery. A bigger battery will be heavier and will increase the fuel consumption only.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would definitely buy a RAV4 Hybrid if it were like the Prius Prime plugin hybrid. I found myself having those exact thoughts looking one over at the dealership and wishing it were in the RAV.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I think if I was looking at a plug-in model, I would seriously consider going all the way, with an all electric vehicle. Right now, the current RAV4 Hybrid model provides the perfect mix of economy, power, and range.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Into my opinion the battery is just right size. The battery is charged by the ICE and the charging range is between 40-60 %. There is enough room left in the battery for extra charging of braking and down hill driving. In the city you need to drive so that all accellarations are done by the ICE and then cruising by the battery. A bigger battery will be heavier and will increase the fuel consumption only.

Some people that has a commute within electric range uses like one tank per quarter, so it depends.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My theory is the Prius V will disappear after MY 2018 and the next gen RAV4 Hybrid (MY 2019?) will get a boost in fuel economy to get it close to the Prius V's numbers. Given SUV's seem to grow in size everytime a new one comes out, I would not be surprised if a PHEV RAV4 would be in the works. Then again, it all depends if gas prices stay low or not.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Not me. If I'm plugging in a vehicle, it will have to be a true EV.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The Rav4 EV was pretty much a complete failure, even in California.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
The Rav4 EV was pretty much a complete failure, even in California.
And as I recall from the thread when we had a member who had one, Toyota only made them because of California's save-the-planet regulations and lost $10K on each one.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My friend sells cars and the first question is if its plug-in. People walk away if its not.

Today you can buy: Prius, Outlander, Golf(Rabbit), Passat, Mini-Cooper, Kia Optima, BMW(several) as plug-in

·
Registered
234 Posts
And as I recall from the thread when we had a member who had one, Toyota only made them because of California's save-the-planet regulations and lost $10K on each one.
RAV4 EV was not a bad car but was a failure because Toyota didn't really want to sell it like you said. It was made in Canada with Tesla Battery/Motors.

And yes I was ready to buy a plug-in SUV, but the Outlander PHEV is still not available and doesn't have a great MPEG on ICE mode only.

I'll keep the RAV4H for at least 5 years and then we'll see.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For me it would depend on the amount of space lost to additional battery capacity.

Beyond that, you can plug it in....or not plug it in. Your choice.

My daily commute is 30 miles round trip. If I could get most of that in EV Mode, I'd be willing to plug in at night.

It would be cool getting gas every few months.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with above. We lose a decent chunk of the trunk as it is with the batteries. I would rather not plug in if we lost more. Now if you could keep the car dimension wise the same as it is i'd be down. My typical commute is around 30-40 miles a day so I'd be down. But not if it was super expensive. The car is great as it is.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
My daily commute is 30 miles round trip. If I could get most of that in EV Mode, I'd be willing to plug in at night.

It would be cool getting gas every few months.
Problem is that you're still burning fuel, its just that it was converted to electricity. Whether its cheaper or not depends on your MPG and the cost of each KWH of electricity.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Electricity ost is 8.16 cents per kwh here, including taxes and service fee it's just under .10 cents per kwh so I'm all for a PHEV.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts