Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I buy a Toyota again?! NO

Well with my latest problem of the Check Engine Light, I think it's now unfortunately a NO. I had hung on and kept telling myself that the styling and drive of the car made up for all the problems I have had in the past. It's still a beautiful car but I now feel vulnerable now the warranty has expired. I just know that it is going to start being expensive.

I bought a new car to get away from past experience of old cars needing repairwork. :lol: How wrong I was!!!!

Anyone thinking of buying a RAV - read the faults & fixes first, then make up your own mind. ALSO note the dealers response to people reporting problems, whether they're friendly, helpful etc.

I do absolutely LOVE my car but don't know whether I wil be able to afford to keep it if things start going wrong - I really didn't expect so many things to go wrong on a brand new car. It has still only done 36K miles but is now out of warranty and looks like it's going to start being very expensive.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry to here that. we have 2 rav's 96 and 97. bought both with 80,000 on them. mine has had a valve job at 82,000. of course, i don't know how it was taken care of before me. other than brakes, timing belts, and other routine maint. they are still going strong. 96 with 162,000 97 with 138,000.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If a person wouldn't buy a car that has a check engine light problem --- that would mean we would all be riding horses again. What else would we have to talk about over coffee at McDonalds??? The light isn't the problem, it is what causes the light to come on that needs to be fixed.
I don't think I will need to buy another RAV for a while, my 2000 only has 114,000 miles on it. The '98 only has 275,000 so I guess they are good for a while yet. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my '97 with 130,000 is a "middle aged" RAV...then again so is the owner... :lol: lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
My 1998 RAV4 now has 107,000 miles on it and still running very well!!! In fact, I'm planning to buy another RAV4 (model year 2006 or 2007) with the V6 motor option!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stelly - Re: 'If a person wouldn't buy a car that has a check engine light problem --- that would mean we would all be riding horses again.'

Yes, and then maybe the manufacturers would have to make sure that they make cars that don't develop such faults at a young age so we could rely on their product again and have faith in buying cars again! If you look at the faults boards there seems to be a lot of people out there experiencing the same fault with the new style Ravs.

If my only problem with a car (which is now 4yrs old and only 36Kmiles on the clock) was a check engine light (or obviously the problem behind it) then no, I don't think I'd worry, but unfortunately I have had problem after problem, which wasn't so bad when the car was under warranty, but now out of it it's going to start costing me.

Having spent nearly £17,000 on the car at new, I sort of expected that it might run trouble-free for a little while. Is that unreasonable to expect having spent that much?!

Having always had second-hand cars in the past, my expectations of a new car were naively...high.

It's also not just the problems that have tainted my experience of the RAV, but the way the dealer has dealt with problems in the past, the number of months they have taken and watching the pure guess-work involved in diagnosing past faults.

And finally the slightly bitter taste of having to get it hooked up to a machine to be given the fault code.....& a nice bill for £76 for telling me the fault code!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
reply to checho

Re: a friend of mine told me "if the smoke of the trucks pass around the sensors of the sistem, it going to turn on". first disconnect the battery for 30 sec and connect it again and check if the check engine is on.

Hi thank you for the response checho.

I was driving along a sedate rural village at the time so I don't think the pollution sensor is the problem. I have started 'clicking' the petrol cap now though as I didn't realise you had to do that before.

I'm not sure about disconnecting the battery as I suspect the problem will still be there & the light will probably come back on again. (it has gone off and come back on once). Reading through other people's problems on the same thing, it looks like I will have to take it to the garage at some point, but I would like to find a free diagnosis non-Toyota repair place first so I know what I might be letting myself in for.

If I do disconnect the battery, will this cause problems with the alarm? Will I need to reset anything afterwards like central locking etc?

How long ago did your friend's problem occur? Just wondered as a lot of people have said that all the dealer did was reset the computer or update the software only to have the fault re-appear some time later.

Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
ribena said:
And finally the slightly bitter taste of having to get it hooked up to a machine to be given the fault code.....& a nice bill for £76 for telling me the fault code!
You can buy a scanner to retrive the codes yourself. Expect to pay ~ $100.00 a decent one or check ebay for cheaper models.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well Im now on 120,000 Kms and I have not had a problem at
all with mine! yes I would buy another Toyota!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ribena, your Toyota experience sounds similar to mine. I bought a 2004 RAV4 based entirely on Toyota's reputation for reliability and so far I've been disappointed. Mine's been back to the dealer numerous times with emissions problems, loose interior parts, squeaks, rattles and squeals. I lost confidence in the RAV4 and like you don't want to keep it past the warranty. After my first emissions problem, a bad charcoal canister the manager assured me I would not have any more problems. Well, a week later the catalytic convertor failed, then sensors started failing after that. Next, a hose cracked in the emissions system and the CEL was back on again. I'd hate to think how much it would cost for all the repair work if it were to fall on me after the warranty. I feel like I've had the CEL light on for a good third of the time I've owned the RAV4 and the reason is they never even had the parts in a timely manner. It would take a week to get the part. So it went like this, make an appointment with a week lead time to find the problem, a week to get the part and install it with another week lead time. So at least 2 weeks would go by before the RAV is repaired. This is ridiculous, with my old chevy van they had the part that day and it was repaired that day or the next at most. Part of reliability is service because any car will need work. I've never experienced this kind of service before.

I just haven't been convinced this is the quality vehicle that was so highly recommended in reviews and by owners. It's cheap inside and out and a rattletrap. My sister bought a 2004 Subaru Outback for about what I paid for my RAV4. After looking at both side by side, her Subaru is much better quality. The interior and exterior is better quality and more beefy than the RAV4. Just compare the cowl on both cars and no wonder the RAV's is so noisy. It's so cheap, cheesy and flimsey, how can it not rattle and squeak. The Subaru's cowl was much more solid as was the rest of the car inside and out. I know any car can have problems, but didn't expect this from Toyota and I'm not convinced this is the solid car I was told about.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I suppose you unfortunately ended up with a lemon........it happens, even when buying a car noted for its reliabilty.

Over 5 years I purchased 3 new Holden Commodores (company cars). One was problem 3, the other 2 I felt like planting a bomb underneath. One needed a full engine rebuild at 5000 KM (fault oil filter.....no oil)

Yes, the Rav's do have their little problems and idiocyncrasies (valve stem seals, faulty gearbox bushings, etc) but having owned one now for near on 3 months (bought it with 100,000 KM ) I'm more than happy.

One thing I do have to agree with is the pathetic customer service given by the Toyota dealers. I tried taking mine back for some minor warranty issues, and I was told they only do warranty claims on certain days ( coincidently not the days I told them I could bring it in) :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you're just experiencing the problem with cars - they break - you get 'em fixed and the garage screws you while they do it ... I mean £60 an hour for some kid to work on your car

I don't think Toyota really warrant there badge of reliability, but they are no worse that any other good manufacturer. There parts are expensive and so is labour - yet so are any other manufacturers.

It depends what you want - and I'm guessing it's cheap hastle free motoring ...... and I think if you want that you either maintain it yourself or you personal lease.

If you decide to maintain yourself get a code reader - the ECU is there to help you ... the light been on doesn't mean ditch the car it means - see which £50 sensor it wants you to change and away you go.... also think about going to an auto-electrician, they can be much better than Toyota at fixing these things 8)

Again ..... agreed - I don't think Toyota are the holly grail of reliability ..... but theres far worse ..... in about 250000 miles of Toyota driving I have never been left stranded at the side of the road (It'll always limp home).... I think thats pretty good

Oh - and another point - my RAV was pretty poor when I got it (second hand) - after some good simple maintainance ... Oil (inc gearboxes) change new plugs, etc. it's running like a peach .... they are only as good as they are looked after .... is your garage servicing it properly?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imagine the problems you'd have if you had bought a General Motors or Ford product instead. I have owned GM cars nearly all my adult life, and for the most part they were always reliable...until this last batch. A 1997 Chevy Cavalier and a 1997 Oldsmobile (may it rest in peace) Achieva cost a total of $10,000 in just repair bills...and that was just in the last three years! The lion's share of the repairs went to the Achieva (most of that, I'm sure, could be chalked up to either incompetent mechanics or getting screwed, or both), and it's still not right. The Cavalier, thankfully, is somewhat better, but still not great (we've got a PRNDL switch issue we're working right now where the RND3 lights on the dash don't work). We bought a 1999 RAV4 from a gentleman who works about 200 feet from my office...65,000 miles, religious oil changes, new tires and brakes, and so clean inside and out you could eat off it! (Well, maybe not.) After reading about the reliability of Toyotas in general, and RAV4s in particular, we decided to take the plunge and buy used instead of new. We've only had it a week, but already I'm impressed with the ease of locating information on the Internet regarding the vehicle. I know that I'll have to spend some money on it in the future -- after all, it is used -- but as long as we do the recommended maintenance, at the recommended intervals, we shouldn't have a huge problem with it. At least not the same level of problems we had with the Achieva.

Bottom line -- find a good mechanic and/or garage (someone you trust), sit them down and talk to them in depth about your car and what you expect for your money, and don't let them off the hook! A recent transmission problem in the Cavalier cost $395 to fix, but the shop also did a partial rebuild for free! A good relationship with your garage is worth its weight in auto parts!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts