Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm hoping to buy a 2019 RAV4 LE AWD tonight and am curious what a fair deal would be. I'm in Canada (Saskatchewan) and have already searched through the deals thread here but haven't seen any recent purchases in Canada to compare to.

I used Unhaggle.com and on reddit the general recommendation is to offer between 2-6% higher than that. I was planning on offering 2% above the invoice/dealer price, since the 2020 will be here soon, but am wondering if that is even high. Here are the numbers:

Invoice/Dealer Price: $28,537
MSRP: $30,690
Freight/Delivery + A/C + Tire Levy: $1935
GST + PST (11%): $3414
Incentives: -$700
Dealer fees: $395
Their listed OTD: $36,107

OTD Price I hope to get: $34,457

Should I start out offering $34,000 OTD and see what they answer back with? I've never purchased a brand new vehicle and I can find negotiating to be difficult.

Thank you so much, I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to two dealers when I purchased my Adventure. I told them exactly what I was doing and I would go with who gave me the best deal. I saved an additional $3000 by doing this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I think I don't have a lot of leverage since the 2020s are coming out soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I don't know much about prices in Canada, but I can do math. $30,690 + $1935 + $3414 -$700 + 395 = $35734. So their OTD is 400 above MSRP.

I paid $5500.00 USD below MSRP in July in the USA. Not sure how it works in Canada, but I would start much lower, like 30,000

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new here but I can chime in on this.

In Alberta, bought an LE AWD for just under 32500 CAD (24611 USD) OTD. The sale price before tax was 30400 CAD (23021 USD).

My LE is equipped with painted mirrors, integrated mirror signal lamps, blind spot monitors, alloy rims, heated windshield wiper area, heated seats, all weather mats, auto headlights and mud flaps. I believe these are standard on the Canadian version (?).

I had multiple dealerships offering the same price, so I had the winner include 3M (hood, fenders, mirrors), free windshield chip repairs, and also had it put in writing that I would receive a 2 way remote starter and block heater (as parts aren't available apparently) free of charge.

Not sure if I could've got a better price, but I did some research and it seemed like a good deal. If you haven't made a purchase yet I can provide you with the quotes I received.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm new here but I can chime in on this.

In Alberta, bought an LE AWD for just under 32500 CAD (24611 USD) OTD. The sale price before tax was 30400 CAD (23021 USD).

My LE is equipped with painted mirrors, integrated mirror signal lamps, blind spot monitors, alloy rims, heated windshield wiper area, heated seats, all weather mats, auto headlights and mud flaps. I believe these are standard on the Canadian version (?).

I had multiple dealerships offering the same price, so I had the winner include 3M (hood, fenders, mirrors), free windshield chip repairs, and also had it put in writing that I would receive a 2 way remote starter and block heater (as parts aren't available apparently) free of charge.

Not sure if I could've got a better price, but I did some research and it seemed like a good deal. If you haven't made a purchase yet I can provide you with the quotes I received.
Sorry for the late reply. I got a quote from another dealership and ended up getting it for $34800 CAD OTD. About $1400 below the MSRP. Both dealers were barely budging during negotiations, and there aren't a ton of dealerships around here so I think I did alright with that in mind.

Mind if I ask how you like the remote starter? I'm on the fence about getting it from them or getting an aftermarket one. Also, the dealer told me since the RAV4 uses 0W16 oil it doesn't need a block heater but I dunno about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I got a quote from another dealership and ended up getting it for $34800 CAD OTD. About $1400 below the MSRP. Both dealers were barely budging during negotiations, and there aren't a ton of dealerships around here so I think I did alright with that in mind.

Mind if I ask how you like the remote starter? I'm on the fence about getting it from them or getting an aftermarket one. Also, the dealer told me since the RAV4 uses 0W16 oil it doesn't need a block heater but I dunno about that.
You did fine on price, don't worry.

I can't tell you about the OEM remote start as I haven't received it yet. When I purchased the vehicle I called Toyota Canada and they confirmed that they didn't make a block heater or factory remote start for my vehicle, so my options for both would be aftermarket. I was worried about my warranty being void if I installed aftermarket parts, but I decided to go against my gut and ask the dealer to throw an aftermarket starter in anyway.

That's when they told me that they need an ignition part, which is backordered, to even install an aftermarket. Something to do with Toyota's system change that brought a halt to parts distribution in the country. So I'm still waiting.

The good news, when you try to build a Rav4 on the website now they all come with block heaters. I'm going to call Toyota and see if there's a part number I can have my dealer order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, that sounds kind of frustrating to be honest.

I think I'm going to go with an aftermarket remote start. Way cheaper and the Toyota one looks plain. And I might get the block heater installed anyways even though they said it isn't necessary. I figure it couldn't hurt.

Edit: thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're parking in a garage it probably isn't needed, but it'd definitely help in those -50 Saskatchewan cold snaps. Also would be better for resale value. The 0w16 oil is pretty impressive in cold weather though. Either way, I'm on the phone with Toyota now so I'll leave an update.

I would go somewhere else also for the starter, but it was part of my deal so I guess I have no choice but to wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: Toyota Canada confirmed a block heater is available for all trims of the 2019 Rav4. They wouldn't give me a part number or confirm stock, as that is for the dealer to know only. A little disappointing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts