Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Rav4 Limited Lease comes to completion in couple months. I love this car and will get another without question. Was leaning towards the Hybrid version. I drove one for few days, my dealer gave me loaner to use/try. I'm good customer, they treat me very well. I was very impressed with power, quietness and feeling of relaxation. I'm not a high milage user, about 8k miles+ per year, so the additional fuel efficiency isn't the attraction nor cost justified. I just was impressed with overall demeanor.

Would appreciate any comments, especially if current owners would buy/lease another. My dealer service mgr tells me they hate the hybrid...tounge-in-cheek. Said they need very little maintenance, brakes last long time etc, etc, etc. He highly recommends this car.

Thanks in advance for sharing opinions...Bob

PS: (actually posted this to other forum, meant to post/ask here...)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think most people here will tell you yes. I could not be happier with a vehicle than I am with this one. There are a few minor things that would make it absolutely perfect like Toyota having Apple carplay as an option, but thats not coming anytime soon. It has been my best winter driver also. The snow last week in NJ/PA caused a lot of problems, but this car was amazing in the deep heavy snow.

If you have an opportunity to get one, do it!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would, yes. No problems or issues at all. Plus, once I really started researching hybrids, specifically toyota hybrids, I found that they are typically more reliable than gas only due to the more simple transmission and the accessories being solid state rather than mechanical pulley driven. Probably wouldn't have gotten it if it were a belt driven rubber banding cvt but the planetary ecvt is awesome. Batteries are so very very rarely replaced, despite the general public belief, it's a non issue. If there was a problem the battery and entire hybrid system is warrantied for 8 years as well.
I traded in my 14 xle for the 16 hybrid limited.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Definitely yes, my annual mileage is about 7500, have had no problems at all and I like the Hybrid's ride and comfort much more than the '15 Ltd it replaced. Once I quit using the cabin heater during warm up and turned my wife's seat heater off, my winter fuel economy has increase to over 35mpg average, not much less than it was in warmer weather, still learning the Hybrid driving style. :smile

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a month and only one tankful in, and I am loving it. My third RAV, and 11th Toyota.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and it would be a Hybrid. The increased time between fill-ups along make it a winner.

·
Registered
846 Posts
No, since my wife's 2016 RAV4 will last for a long time and we are not trading it in while upkeep is very manageable (no issues, cheap maintenance and possibly DIY for non-battery components).

I would purchase a pure electric Toyota vehicle in a heart beat as long as it allows for 200+ miles between charging.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Definitely yes, my annual mileage is about 7500, have had no problems at all and I like the Hybrid's ride and comfort much more than the '15 Ltd it replaced. Once I quit using the cabin heater during warm up and turned my wife's seat heater off, my winter fuel economy has increase to over 35mpg average, not much less than it was in warmer weather, still learning the Hybrid driving style. :smile
Your wife is okay with a chilly cabin temperature?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd get a good slap if I tried that. :wink

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume you meant you turn cabin heater off "during warmup only". Surely you're not suggesting keeping heat off fully. I have remote start on my current gas Rav4, understand remote start not available option from Toyota for the hybrid. I bring this up because "warmup" period is where remote start has its merit. Cool down(A/C) in summer also useful. Your point comes thru, these are inefficient periods. Just not sure why having heater turned on during warmup would hurt mileage that much.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I assume you meant you turn cabin heater off "during warmup only". Surely you're not suggesting keeping heat off fully. I have remote start on my current gas Rav4, understand remote start not available option from Toyota for the hybrid. I bring this up because "warmup" period is where remote start has its merit. Cool down(A/C) in summer also useful. Your point comes thru, these are inefficient periods. Just not sure why having heater turned on during warmup would hurt mileage that much.
That's exactly what I said, during warmup the ICE will run just because of the demand for heat even if there isn't much heat available due to the cold engine, you can literally make the ICE run just by turning the heat on, and stop the ICE by turning the heat off, the ICE won't shut off and therefore never goes into EV mode even when stopped, if the ICE is running with no forward motion you're getting negative fuel economy. Do a little research on driving a hybrid, you'll learn a lot.

Winter weather here isn't very cold normally, day temps are 40º-50ºF except when we have an occasional cold spell, so heat isn't a requirement like it would be in more northern climates, and using a remote start here would be very counter productive on a hybrid, I just wear a coat if I'm cold. My wife is always cold, she uses the seat heater in her Prius nearly year round, I can do without them, only time I've used it was while fishing in sub freezing weather all morning, it felt good when we drove to another spot on the river, other than those rare occasions, I could do entirely without seat heaters as I have since I started driving almost 60yrs ago.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109...g-cold-months-restrict-air-flow-radiator.html

NEW TCH OWNER FAQs - PLEASE READ - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Hybrid Driving Tips: Maximize MPG, Minimize Cost

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've owned my SE Hybrid for just over a month now and I am quite impressed. I've taken it skiing on a few occasions, it has handled the worst Winter conditions (using snow tires) without any issues. I have had 4 passengers in the car with a cargo box on the roof and it had a minimal impact on fuel economy. The RAV Hybrid really is a Swiss Army knife of vehicles. Great on gas (27.3 mpg average in a cold climate with plenty of snow and ice), comfortable to drive and spacious.

My previous car was a 2015 RAV4 Limited. I would buy another RAV4 without hesitation, great vehicle that has never let me down.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I love mine, and will buy another, when the time comes. Beyond the fuel efficiency and comfort, I really enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2014 Rav4 Limited Lease comes to completion in couple months. I love this car and will get another without question. Was leaning towards the Hybrid version. I drove one for few days, my dealer gave me loaner to use/try. I'm good customer, they treat me very well. I was very impressed with power, quietness and feeling of relaxation. I'm not a high milage user, about 8k miles+ per year, so the additional fuel efficiency isn't the attraction nor cost justified. I just was impressed with overall demeanor.

Would appreciate any comments, especially if current owners would buy/lease another. My dealer service mgr tells me they hate the hybrid...tounge-in-cheek. Said they need very little maintenance, brakes last long time etc, etc, etc. He highly recommends this car.

Thanks in advance for sharing opinions...Bob

PS: (actually posted this to other forum, meant to post/ask here...)

I bought my '17 limited in November and have already put over 10,000 miles on it. Love the hybrid! I hate the wear and tear on it but love the fuel savings! My last Toyota 4x4 got about 17/18 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bought my '16 XLE Hybrid in July last year. Not a single issue has come up. Great mileage and smooth as can be. I've even gotten used to the Entune system -- it isn't great, but works for me. GPS works fine, and I can have text messages read back to me safely from iPhone without looking. So overall, I'm very satisfied. Purchased the Extended Warranty but may never need it at this rate.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My wife loves hers and says so almost every time we are in the car (we've owned it 1 year as of yesterday.) I only get to drive it on trips but it's very nice and I like it too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Absolutely. Quite happy with this vehicle. My only complaint (and it's not a major one) is that I wish it was offered in more colors when I purchased it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Absolutely. Quite happy with this vehicle. My only complaint (and it's not a major one) is that I wish it was offered in more colors when I purchased it.
I'm sure the marketing geniuses at Toyota feel that the hybrid will only be purchased by older conservative people so they won't offer any wild colors like Hot Lava.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Yes definately.

I hope it comes with plug-in version soon also.
Me too, if they don't, I may have to seriously consider other options when the time comes, maybe even the Kia Niro PHEV. :surprise Have to consider giving up the AWD and a bit of ground clearance tho, but losing the CVT won't be so bad.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts