Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the RAV4 world and I am about to buy a 2011, V6, Premium RAV4 for my small family.

2011 Toyota RAV4
VIN: JTMEK4DV1B5104497
Limited trim.
4 wheel drive.
Rare 3rd row seat!
Black.
105k miles.
Tan heated leather.
Moonroof.
New Pioneer Multimedia DVD Receiver w/Bluetooth.
Headrest monitors for rear passengers.
Inspected and ready to go.
Clean CARFAX and clean title.

We live in Denver and go to the mountains frequently. I understand that the third generation RAV4 isn't a true four wheel vehicle, as it only has 7.5 inches of ground clearance, but from my research, it's the best compromise between a city car and a car that can get up some gnarly trailhead roads throughout the West. Would you agree? Any modifications (tires, etc...) that you could suggest that wouldn't take away to much MPG, but make it a little bit better on rough roads?

I will be having it inspected by the TOYEXUS AUTO REPAIR in Denver. It has great ratings on Yelp, but that's about all that I know about it.

The vehicle has 105,000 miles on it, which I am worried about. It has a clean title, no accidents, and the Car Fax looks decent. It has had 3 owners, so that is another red flag. Someone put the aftermarket entertainment system in also. Should this be a red flag? I assume the inspection would be able to see if it is causing any unnecessary problems.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Without knowing what they are asking for it it's hard to answer. Even in Colorado's thin air (height above sea level) the V-6 should still have plenty of moxie in that terrain.

Assure all recalls have been done and how about maintenance records?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
105K miles is nothing to be too concerned about, provided it's had routine maintenance done it's whole life (especially oil changes).

I'd say that, assuming it's had great maintenance done, you should be able to expect 200,000+ miles out of it.

A Limited V6 4WD with the 3rd Row is rare, indeed!

Reactions: redbeard

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That CarFax looks pretty solid. For more info, you can also go to Toyota.com/owners, enter the VIN and check the service history. Click on each service for more details. Delete the vehicle from your account if you decide not to buy.

The 2011 V6 gets very high marks for reliablity and very few recalls. The only rap is some get a 'whine' noise in the transmission. More of an annoyance to some, but a deal-breaker to others. So keep an ear out for that. Also, all RAVs generally have fairly stiff ride--which might be useful on the Forest Roads you plan to drive. But I wouldn't get too "gnarly" out there, but many USFS roads around here are just fine and can get you to the trailheads. Would be a great Colorado car with the extra power on the high mountain passes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! Could you take a look at the Carfax and tell me what you think? (it's posted above) People on this forum have much more experience with RAV4s than I, and I would like your opinion.

Yes, we have a small child now and will are planning to have another one somewhat soon, so that mini seat in the back would give us even more flexibility!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the look at the Carfax! I am by no means an expert at studying Carfax reports, so the look by you folks is wonderful. I'll make sure to look out for the transmission "whine." Would there be anything that I should specifically ask the TOYEXUS inspection people to look out for?

I am buying the RAV4 from a car "broker." He has it listed for $14,100, and I think I can get it for $13,700 or so. Do these numbers seem reasonable to you? From entering all the info on kbb.com and edmunds, it's seems like it's right around market price.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
The only likely possible "red flag" that appears on the Carfax report is that the third owner had the vehicle for only an estimated four months. It would be interesting to know why they had it for such a short while. Otherwise the vehicle appears to have been well maintained and with no accidents reported. I did not see an asking price listed, though.

The V6 has plenty of power for high altitudes - we have had ours at 10,000+ feet and with no discernible lack of power. But this model RAV is not a serious off-road vehicle although it will do well on reasonably well maintained trails.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I will attempt to call dealer that ended up getting it after four months and see if I can get any info from them.

The asking price is $14,100. That seems to be reasonable for KBB, Edmunds, and NADA. I might get a cash discount for $13,500 or so. Would you think that is reasonable?

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
$13.500 might be a little high given the mileage and number of owners, but not outrageous. You can have a reasonable idea by going to Kelley Blue Book and entering the vehicle's details.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One thought on the 3rd row seats, I've heard that they are pretty small on the RAV4 & not sure how easy they are to get into. My last car, a larger Pilot required some climbing to enter into the 3rd row seat, so it was kids or nimble adults who sat back there. Looking at the setup on my RAV4, I suspect it would be as much if not more of a challenge to climb back there. It may work OK for your kids now, but you may want to think a few years down the road to consider whether the kids could still fit back there. Just a point for consideration if you have not already bought it. Buy or no, best of luck!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would not pay $13,500 for a v6-RAV4, with 105,000 miles...while their could be nothing wrong with it / who knows.
- the 3rd owner dumped it after 4 months of ownership / for good reason
^^ this should be a RED FLAG
- the price for the mileage, seems high / if one does not need 3rd seating...why pay a premium, for it
- 3rd rows in all likelihood, is uncomfortable anyway...sure makes the rear cargo area, seem small

Hold off this 2011 purchase:
Patience if you can muster up enough, will pay off eventually...keep looking, for lower miles.
- our 2008 Limited 4x4, v6 is still close to mint condition / with 142,500 Km = 88,500
(purchased 2 years ago with 89,600 Km = 55,600 ... fully dealership maintained, via. 2 owners)
- it gets regular oil changes, with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum & WIX XP filter / both synthetic products
There out there.

Would you buy? ... NO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts