Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, hello everyone! I been lurking periodically on this board for almost year now (since I got a used ‘96 RAV4) but this is my first post here.

From a person who LOVES road trips, I was planning going on one this summer with my 2 Door RAV4 (would be a first road trip since I got it).

Would there be any reason why it would not be a good idea to take it for a road trip?

A friend of mine said that they would not go on a trip on a “light” care such as a RAV4.

It has ~ 100,000 miles on it now and in good condition. I am planning to change the timing-belt/water pump and do the basic service on it before the trip.

I do not see a problem in doing a road trip in it or that it is a “light” car; am I wrong?

Thanks,
Fellow RAVer

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would've driven my '96 2-door absolutely anywhere without any concerns whatsoever. I didn't have much opportunity to do so, but it didn't have anything to do with the vehicle itself. I drove mine to Chicago quite a number of times and to Madison, WI dozens of times and never had any issues whatsoever. (We usually take Amtrak for trips, so that's about as long a trip as I ever took with the 4.1 as far as I can recall.)

Based on my experience with my '96 2-door, if you've liked driving your Rav so far, you'll like it just as much on a road trip!

Becky

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I love my 2dr and would take it anywhere.... as long as you do or have done the proper maintenance you should be fine... a tuneup would be good if one hasn't been done (i.e. sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor) , also a fresh oil change before going depending on how long of a road trip are you planning ? and are you planning on staying overnight anywhere? it doesn't hurt to check the oil periodically if you are taking an extended trip... keep a set of jumper cables in case of an emergency as well... Also make sure the spare tire has air and is inflated.. ( a co-worker had a flat and used his spare and it was flat... :roll: ) (FYI, if you don't already know the jack should be under the passenger seat, if you need to change a tire, and the tools should be in one of the side compartments next to the rear passenger seats... )

Anyone else feel free to chime in with advice or tips... 8)

·
Registered
106 Posts
My concern would be my back and shoulders not the drivability of the RAV.

I made the mistake of driving 9 hours in our '97 4 door 4x4. It was nine hours of hell. Uncomfortable seats and no armrests is a recipe for pain.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only thing that turns me off about long road trips in my Rav is the 5th gear gearing. At 110 kph the things revving close to 3500...............not something I like doing for hours on end

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I will do maintenance on before starting the trip. I have done road trips before; but this will be my first one on the RAV.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If someone thinks a RAV4 is "light", it is, but only compared to a full size SUV. What should I do with my 2200lb Miata? Keep it safe in the garage? By the way, my Rav has 140 000 miles on it including long trips. The Miata has 240 000 miles including long trips.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
RAVer said:
Firstly, hello everyone! I been lurking periodically on this board for almost year now (since I got a used ‘96 RAV4) but this is my first post here.

From a person who LOVES road trips, I was planning going on one this summer with my 2 Door RAV4 (would be a first road trip since I got it).

Would there be any reason why it would not be a good idea to take it for a road trip?

A friend of mine said that they would not go on a trip on a “light” care such as a RAV4.

It has ~ 100,000 miles on it now and in good condition. I am planning to change the timing-belt/water pump and do the basic service on it before the trip.

I do not see a problem in doing a road trip in it or that it is a “light” car; am I wrong?

Thanks,
Fellow RAVer
Depending on the condicion of the road and how bad it is. If I see that I can work my way around the ruff stuff. Sure. But I hate to see my Borla tip get smashed. :doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts