Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is nearing the end of a 36 month lease on a XLE Hybrid and is debating a buyout (~17K plus tax) or trading for a new XLE Hybrid (lease or purchase). The truck has performed flawlessly and has averaged about 33 MPG (quite a bit worse in the winter and a little better in the spring/summer/fall).

Setting cost and MPG differences aside, how concerned should we be about the bugs that the new Rav4 seems to have had even after two full model years? Reading the forum its hard to know exactly how common the fueling and parasitic battery drain issues really are, but both are obviously a concern. Is the thinking that the 2021s are debugged? We still have a couple months to decide but I certainly cant rely on a salesman to tell me the current state of affairs!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
New gen rav4 is an improvement in many areas. MPGs, tech, interior/exterior design but it fails short in one area cabin noise isolation. 2018 is better.

Also not sure how good is passenger seat in 2018 but in newer gen its for short people.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,456 Posts
My wife is nearing the end of a 36 month lease on a XLE Hybrid and is debating a buyout (~17K plus tax) or trading for a new XLE Hybrid (lease or purchase). The truck has performed flawlessly and has averaged about 33 MPG (quite a bit worse in the winter and a little better in the spring/summer/fall).

Setting cost and MPG differences aside, how concerned should we be about the bugs that the new Rav4 seems to have had even after two full model years? Reading the forum its hard to know exactly how common the fueling and parasitic battery drain issues really are, but both are obviously a concern. Is the thinking that the 2021s are debugged? We still have a couple months to decide but I certainly cant rely on a salesman to tell me the current state of affairs!

Fuel fill issue, well known and widely applied fix. Buying in several months I wouldn't worry.

Battery drain - firmware fix applied to many. Most report problem solved. Some with issues and it may be third party items, 12v battery went bad before fix, fix didn't apply. But lots less reports.

Shut off in very cold damp weather - known relay fix - part number can be checked before delivery

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New gen rav4 is an improvement in many areas. MPGs, tech, interior/exterior design but it fails short in one area cabin noise isolation. 2018 is better.

Also not sure how good is passenger seat in 2018 but in newer gen its for short people.
Thanks. I will look out for this when it comes time for a test drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would buy it out. 17k vs double that for a new one.......You have the history on this one and while the new one has newer tech, is it worth $17k? A question only you can answer....

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,200 Posts
For a nicely equipped XLE it going to cost you $30+k. You already paid the depreciation on the car you have. If you offered me a one owner, low mileage, maintained 2018 XLE hybrid for 17K, I would take it in a second if I needed a car. This car has automatic braking system, is proven, this is a no brainer, keep the car unless you are rich, then sell it and buy a 10 year old Corolla, because that's what real rich people do.

Seriously, keep the car. Unless you own a business and this is a write off. Leasing is for businesses so they can write off depreciation on tools used for work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a nicely equipped XLE it going to cost you $30+k. You already paid the depreciation on the car you have. If you offered me a one owner, low mileage, maintained 2018 XLE hybrid for 17K, I would take it in a second if I needed a car. This car has automatic braking system, is proven, this is a no brainer, keep the car unless you are rich, then sell it and buy a 10 year old Corolla, because that's what real rich people do.

Seriously, keep the car. Unless you own a business and this is a write off. Leasing is for businesses so they can write off depreciation on tools used for work.
Yeah, teacher salaries and a kid going to college, so we may very well go this route.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Hybrid Premium XLE AWD
8 Posts
I did trade my 2018 hybrid SE for a 2021 Premium hybrid, because we wanted to be able to tow a trailer with it. My husband noted that the seats are roomier than the 2018 and more comfortable for longer drives. I loved my 2018 and did not want to give it up. Now that I have the 2021, I love it. I've had no issues with the gas tank or the battery drain.

Depending on how you plan to use the vehicle, I'd keep the 2018 because you know the vehicle, it's been good to you and it is less to own than a brand new 2021.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I leased a 2016 Rav4h just to see if it worked for the family. Returned it after 3 yrs and bought a 2019 XSE in the fall of 2019. Very happy with the vehicle.
I would say depends on how long you plan to keep it and if you like the newer body style. I plan on keeping mine for at least 10yrs and wanted to have the new styling.

My wife does miss the electric blue color.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugly-Quieter (4.4) vs. Handsome-Louder (4.5). I think 4.5 wins for me.
I'm neutral on the looks of the old/new. I get what they were trying to do with the 4.5 but they creased the heck out of the sheet metal. The better tech and the MPG would be the main reasons for trading.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm neutral on the looks of the old/new. I get what they were trying to do with the 4.5 but they creased the heck out of the sheet metal. The better tech and the MPG would be the main reasons for trading.
All kidding aside, I think 4.5 is safer than 4.4: although not as dramastic as going from 4.3 to 4.5. For me 10 year a reasonable point to upgrade.

·
Registered
47 Posts

For what it's worth -- I purchased a 2021 hybrid that was built in October. So far it is flawless and a pleasure to drive. It has none of the issues you and others have mentioned with earlier years. So, yes--it has been " debugged" ( to use your word). I believe ( in reading these forums) that to avoid the gas tank filling issue, and perhaps the battery issue, purchase a 2021 that was built after July of 2020-- if you decide to go that route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts