Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its good to be back, i havent been on here in forever! Well my rav is still going strong. I drive her so much for work (bought it with 79K in april 2005, and as of jan 2006 i have 108K) and its running fine. i went through the mountains in tenesee with it back in june, all paved roads :(, and it was fine. my tranny seems to be getting a little sketchy. i think the previous owners towed quite a bit, and over her limit. i bought it knowing this, and the tranny has a rattle when deaccelerating (sounds like a bearing) and now a little on acceleration. i have started taking her offroad quite a bit, dirt and trails, and it does fine. my tires suck, and i have been thinking of swapping to a more gripping tire for some offroad, such as All Terrains or something, but i dont want to sacrifice my gas milage. any advice on tires? The true test will come this summer as i am driving through mexico (i live in houston texas). one stop in tampico on the gulf side for a quick visit and maybe some hurricane surf, then im headed to the states of Nayarit and Jalisco for around a month of surfing. These roads will test my car, and im greatly looking forward to it, but im worried a little as well, i have the 5spd version, but no 4x4, and i dont wanna thrash my car tooo much. Well i just wanted to post again and say hi. any info on tires and some offroading experiences would be greatly appreciated, especially some offroad stuff. its hard to find good places (mountainous terrian) where i live, so i dont get to test my car tooo much. thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
I take mine off-road as much as my wife will let me. :lol:

Kidding of course but I do go as often as I can and I think the RAV missed its calling in the beginning. With a few more bells and whistles in the 4x4 system it would be unstopable. As it is right now I haven't encountered anything I couldn't get through and around. I stay away from the rocks and stuff that will inflict damage to my truck but I never back down from a challenge.

I have in my album of a couple of places I've been in the last year.
Sometimes my wife and I will just explore a couple of back roads if we are out somewhere and I don't always have my camera with me. Any questions on the RAV off-road just ask.

As for tires.....hmmmm where will I start? Just kidding guys I will spare you the lenthy shop talk for today. Two recomendations off the top of my head are:
1. Bridgestone Dueler REVO
2. BF Goodrich All Terrain KO

Two of the best all around tires out there. Anyone? Take a shot now.

Talk more later. M.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look at those tires online and they look pretty good. What kind of effect will this have on my gas milage and the already loud rav4 road noise? another thing is how much can i expect to gain when i dont have 4x4 to begin with? Im just tired of loosing grip when climing sometimes, and soft but not even deep sand sends my tires spinning and trying desperatly to grip. Maybe im not approaching the sand stuff correctly. what kind of speed should i maintain? If i try at a relativly good speed (15-25mph) i can pull through but there is still some uncertainty. i hope this can be resolved by tires , but im fearing this is the difference between 2x4 and 4x4. i have very veery street/highway only tires right now. ill post a brand later if need be.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After consulting the RAV4 forum and looking on the net, I bought a set of BFG All-Terrain TA K/Os about a month ago.

I haven't challenged the tires yet. There's been rain and mud and gravel, but nothing I wouldn't expect any other new tire to handle. In other words, I haven't been off-road and there hasn't been any snow.

This is what I noticed when I first drove with my new tires:

1) The engine had to give a bit more; not struggle, just had to spend a bit more energy to get going.

2) I was aware of car noise for the first time; I could hear the traction. It's not loud, but it is noticeable. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the silence of before, but read on.

3) The traction was immediately obvious. The car felt more connected to the road.

4) I'm hesitant to comment about the gas, though I suspect that I have increased my consumption slightly since fitting the BFGs. Slightly.

I'm not thrilled about the extra windy noise that accompanies the tires, but that's what you get for buying what amounts to truck tires, I suppose. The tread on these things is huge to my layperson's eyes and looks to be 1cm thick.

The noise isn't an issue because I feel so much safer now. The car feels more solid and I don't have a lurching feeling in my stomach as I drive through winding roads in the rain. I've been through a couple of storms that I wouldn't have felt secure doing with my old tires on.

It's early days for the BFGs. So far I'm very happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts