Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto shop sold me the wrong battery even after I took the old one in. When we put it in the horn started blowing and we had to disconnect the battery. Took it to a shop and was told that the wrong battery had done damage to the alternator relay and several other things were showing up on their computer on the ECM. Scared to death it's going to be expensive and I don't know that much about cars but I love my RAV and it's been a great one since I ordered it new in 2006. 69,000 miles. Going to try to get the auto shop that sold me the wrong battery to pay but... What am I looking at in $$$ and is the dealership the only place that can fix it. Can it be flashed or buy new? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unlikely that the battery would do any damage being the wrong one unless the cables were hooked up backwards as long as it was 12V. Were the positive and negative posts on the new battery the same as the new battery??

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Agree with piratefan - as long as the battery was 12 volts (standard voltage for automotive batteries) it wouldn't damage any of the electrics unless they had installed it backwards (connected positive to negative, etc.). If the battery was installed backwards there may be damage to the RAV's electrics and electronics. If you installed the battery yourselves and it was 12 volts and it was connected incorrectly, unfortunately you may be responsible for repair costs. An exception to that could be if the new battery had the positive and negative terminals in reverse positions from those of the old battery. If the vehicle's electrics have been damaged it would not be possible to estimate repair costs until the extent of the damage has been determined.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Any 12v battery could have been installed without causing damage. If the battery was too large, the hood might not close, but it would not cause the damage you described. The only thing that would cause that type of damage is by reversing the positive and negative connections.

This can happen if you had been sold a battery that had the positive and negative terminals reversed ( right to left), and the installer connected the cables without verifying the polarity of the terminals.

Sometimes a battery of the wrong size is purchased. This is often due to incorrect information located in the catalog. It is up to the installer of the battery to ensure that the battery fits properly without touching the hood, and that the cables are connected with the proper polarity.

The proper size battery for your RAV is 24F. What size did you purchase?

If you were indeed sold the wrong battery then you should be blaming the installer for not taking the proper precautions when installing the battery.

The good news is that there is a possibility that all of your problems are caused by a blown fuse, and that replacing that fuse will solve the problems.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Auto shop sold me the wrong battery even after I took the old one in. When we put it in the horn started blowing and we had to disconnect the battery. Took it to a shop and was told that the wrong battery had done damage to the alternator relay and several other things were showing up on their computer on the ECM. Scared to death it's going to be expensive and I don't know that much about cars but I love my RAV and it's been a great one since I ordered it new in 2006. 69,000 miles. Going to try to get the auto shop that sold me the wrong battery to pay but... What am I looking at in $$$ and is the dealership the only place that can fix it. Can it be flashed or buy new? Thanks!!!
You undoubtedly hooked the battery up wrong...the new battery must have had the positive and negative on opposite sides than your original and you did not check before hooking it up...while it sucks it's not the end of the world...many have done this so you're not alone...do a Google search for rav4 hooked battery up wrong...most likely just have to replace some fuses to be good...

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
You undoubtedly hooked the battery up wrong...the new battery must have had the positive and negative on opposite sides than your original and you did not check before hooking it up...while it sucks it's not the end of the world...many have done this so you're not alone...do a Google search for rav4 hooked battery up wrong...most likely just have to replace some fuses to be good...
I agree with the first part of your reply. Good luck on the optimism.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts