Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Maryland and am interested in buying a 2012 or newer Rav4. I don't mind traveling a ways to pick it up for the right deal.

*Must be AWD
*Prefer a 6cyl, but would accept a 4
*Base model is fine, but would be ok with additional options
*Mileage must be below 80,000

If you have one for sale, the asking price must be in the ballpark of accepted blue book values. No sense wasting my time and yours with something higher than that.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
2006-2012 is referred to as 3rd generation (4.3)
2013+ is 4th generation (4.4)

Only 2006-2012 have the v6 option.

Which model are you really looking for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2006-2012 is referred to as 3rd generation (4.3)
2013+ is 4th generation (4.4)

Only 2006-2012 have the v6 option.

Which model are you really looking for?

Thanks for the reply. I am well aware of the gen differences. I own several other Toyota's and participate on the forums for both. The reason for 2012 or newer is because that's what the wife asked me to look at. I have to pick my battles with her and to explain a 2010 is the same vehicle as a 2012 is not a discussion I want to have with her.

Thanks for the insight on the 6cyl. I wasn't aware it hasn't been offered on the latest generation.

In regards to what model I am looking for, I stated that in my ad. I am looking for a base model, but would entertain the possibility of buying an XLE, sport or Limited.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Ever heard of making an offer?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
I agree, according to KBB, his asking price is too high to the tune of $2500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have bought quite a few cars off Craigslist and one off a forum. And it seems as the years go by, more and more people are selling their used cars that way. That's great in one regard, but it also brings about another set of troubles. I think a lot of the sellers thumb through the used car ads from dealers and base their sales price on those ads.

What they don't realize is, the bigger car dealers have in house buyers who are experts in their field. They can spot potential issues a lot better than I can. So they buy the cars at the right price. They truck the suspect cars off to small used car lots, and keep the quality ones for their lot. So there is a reason you pay well above blue book for a car at a bigger dealer. You will more than likely be buying a car that will last a long time. And a dealer will probably stand behind the car if something crops up in the first month or two,

I am not looking to "steal" a car off of an unsuspecting private seller. But I do want to be in the range of blue book values. My feeling is that if I did miss an issue when checking out a car, I won't feel as bad when I have to shell out the money to make the repair.

My wife had surgery a couple of weeks ago. So I have put this on the back burner a little while. I am about to begin my search again. Thanks everyone for their replies.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have bought quite a few cars off Craigslist and one off a forum. And it seems as the years go by, more and more people are selling their used cars that way. That's great in one regard, but it also brings about another set of troubles. I think a lot of the sellers thumb through the used car ads from dealers and base their sales price on those ads.

What they don't realize is, the bigger car dealers have in house buyers who are experts in their field. They can spot potential issues a lot better than I can. So they buy the cars at the right price. They truck the suspect cars off to small used car lots, and keep the quality ones for their lot. So there is a reason you pay well above blue book for a car at a bigger dealer. You will more than likely be buying a car that will last a long time. And a dealer will probably stand behind the car if something crops up in the first month or two,

I am not looking to "steal" a car off of an unsuspecting private seller. But I do want to be in the range of blue book values. My feeling is that if I did miss an issue when checking out a car, I won't feel as bad when I have to shell out the money to make the repair.

My wife had surgery a couple of weeks ago. So I have put this on the back burner a little while. I am about to begin my search again. Thanks everyone for their replies.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=forSaleTab_false_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c23168&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c24629&zip=18974&distance=100&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=undefined&sortDirection=undefined

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Sorry but that doesn't tell me that an offer far less than the escalated asking price would be refused. EVERYONE asks more for their car, used items on craigslist, home for sale, garage sales, etc. If you don't have the guts to make an offer then get out of the game. No offence, that's just the way I've bid in the past and won.

Also Junebug and I are violating forum rules for commenting on this.......think that over for a bit.

If you think the price is too high or the product is not to your liking, please do not respond in the thread, send a PM to the seller.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
I NEVER make an offer as in, "I'll offer you $XXX". I always say, "I'd be willing to pay $XXX" since that price can be much lower than the asking price w/o offending the seller.
The last car I helped a friend buy I said, "We'd like to buy a car like this for $2500." The guy said, "That's nice but it won't be this one." We settled on $2800.

And BTW, I'm a moderator too. How do I get in on the violating? :wink

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Guess we'll all have to take a cut in pay.......:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Well, I was going to double both of your salaries but now I'm not so sure...

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
DECISIONS, Decisions! :wall I'm just glad I'm not the one in charge and having to make them!

OBTW, I wonder if the OP found his 2012 V6 or the other guy sold his 2011.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts