Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of rear mudflaps for my 4.1 Rav, hopefully in good condition as mine are faded pretty badly.

If you have anything let me know.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hard buggers to find. I have looked online for quite some time. No aftermarket available either. Front? Yes (if you don't have fender flares and side rails). Back: can't find 'em. I've seen quite a few that are just the flat rubber, one with a (yee gads) hole cut in it for the exhaust pipe. Other than that.........good luck. Post pictures of what you finally do...

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If they are just faded but otherwise in good condition, just refinish them. Rubber parts do really well with the Turtle Wax Jet Black "Black Endura-shine Trim Coating" (WalMart, etc). Has worked WONDERS on my black rubber trim. See other posts on trim/bumper finishes...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used similar products to bring them back as best as possible but the main issue is that it rains here a lot so most tire shines get rinsed off in a matter of days and the flaps go back to looking horribly faded.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Right. This is NOT a tire shine. It is specific for trim pieces I have had it on my fender flares and bumpers for now 5-6 months and they look as good as the day I put the stuff on. They are BLACK! Some people might be put off by how black it actually is. I think it looks really cool! Get a bottle and try it. I don't think you will be disappointed. I put about 4-5 coats on, dabbing the sponge as my parts are a matted finish. I love the stuff! Make sure it is the Trim Coating as there are several Jet Black products in that same line. They brag it will last a year; I don't doubt that...... I need to get some pictures posted..... its that time thing.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'll give it a shot. Did you remove the mudflaps from the car to spray them?

And you have to dab the finish for it to be flat?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
It's not a spray; it comes out in a BLACK liquid that you put on a sponge and dab on. No: it does not have to be flat. If you leave the mudflaps on, mask around them. It is an easy task (3-4 screws) to take them off and that way you can take them into the kitchen sink and get them REALLY clean.....depending on who you live with..... It can be rubbed on but I found (as will you, likely) that the results are better if dabbed on. And the more coats you put on, the better. About 10 minutes between coats. You'll like it.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you also use this on the surrounding plastic body pieces or is this stuff only good for the mudflaps?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I have it on the wheel well flares, the rear bumper and back door panel, and will soon on the side door panels. It totally changed the look of the car. So it goes everywhere. Did I mention it was BLACK??:smile

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm. I'm intrigued. I feel like if you dabbed this stuff with a sponge, however, it would take quite awhile to do bumpers and door panels with it.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I may have smeared on the first coat and didn't like how it was looking. I tried dabbing and the results were much better. It didn't take that long, actually. I did it while I was busy doing other things so the parts could dry between coats. It's a BIG SPONGE but you just use one end of it....with gloves on, of course. Try it; you'll like it.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts