Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if putting the Hid conversion kit (H3) without the Projector housing will be blinding to traffic. Has anyone done this yet? Is the beam pattern flat enough to add the conversion? I found this great deal at www.xenondepot.com. Philips Bulbs, Ballasts, and Wiring Harness.

Thanks for all your feedback!
Eric

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, it will be blinding to oncoming traffic due to excessive glare. I've covered this before in the old forums before it got wiped out. So I'll cover it again for those that may be interested in doing an xenon bulb replacement.

The factory reflector headlamps were not designed to accomodate the power output of HID lights. I've already tried this with very poor results. The light would scatter everywhere, including towards oncoming drivers. Very dangerous.

The only proper way to do an HID retrofit, is to use factory projector headlights from a donor vehicle (i.e. BMW, Audi, etc.). This will provide a focused light beam that has the proper light cutoff. Once I retrofitted a pair of projector lights (from a BMW 525/X-5) and had them properly adjusted, I have had no issues with blinding oncoming drivers and no issues with local law enforcement.

Here are some shots of my setup:

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I've owned 2 cars now with aftermarket HID's. The integra ran K2 7000k kit and wasn't too glaring as the beam is pretty concentrated due to being projector based. The light bleed was minimal.

On the otherhand, when I did the Accord, it was pretty bad. The light bleed glared other drivers because it was reflector based and wasn't very concentrated. I immediately retrofitted with S2000 projectors and fixed the problem. The Rav4 is reflector based so yes the bleed will glare other drivers.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
The G Man said:
You should try to buy the projector housing from the european RAV4 and then install HID.
Actually I wouldn't do that. You will be using ECE standard and not DOT. The cutoff is different and can glare others. Also think about it this way.... how much are you planning on spending? I can't imagine the projector lense housing is going to go for less than $1,000 in good condition. It sometimes doesn't even come with the ballast which is $250 or so and probably missing the bulbs which can run another $100 per set. Then let's not mention what type of output you will be getting. Not all HID's are created equal. Some have clearer lenses than others (S2000, TSX, etc) while others are more clouded. About the only thing you may get in exchange is the auto-leveling device.

·
Registered
13 Posts
JDM HID Projector Headlamps pics

if you do manage to get the EU headlamp housing, make sure it's from a country that drives on same side as US (such as Germany). for instance, UK and JDM headlamps will have beam cutoffs on the 'opposite' side.

however, all that trouble to get them will be well worth it. the JDM or EU HID projector headlamps and clear lens parking position lamps are much cooler. FYR, i've posted some pics of the JDM HID Projector Headlamps, after i installed LED parking position lamps.

good luck!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies. I will look into projector housing before the conversion.

:D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so it does make a difference which side of road u drive on? I was about to order from carson toyota for Projector Headlamp for rav4 07 from Japan. They drive on opposite of the road, woudl it make a difference in terms of lighting pattern??? or anyone know I can order headlamp from any euro country for projector style headlamp?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, it will make difference for the other side of the road, if you will take Japanese version.
And again about glares for the conversion kits. The first image of glares by Derek does not show the real picture, I have put the HID conversion kit into my RAV4 2006 and there are no glares or so and now my Rav has a great bright light...for $120 only. You can come and have a look yourself. Also, check my album pictures. If you want more pictures of any other angle - I can make it and post it. I see a lot of cars on the roads these days with HID-conversion installed without any projectors or so, and almost no one making any troubles. Some cars have that glare problem though. Check if there is a cap installed in the headlight in front of the bulb. If your headlight has it - then no glaring.
Someone's blowing the problem...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Suland, where did you pickuo your HID kit and do you know who and where the kit is made? And BTW, how far where you parked from the wall/garage door when you took take picture last weekend ? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
You want to retrofit... seriously. Here's my Accord setup which I will also do for the Rav4... whenever I get it. I went all OEM style to keep it as sleeper as possible. These are S2000 projectors with OEM 4200 bulbs and Audi bezel and Philips ballast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
casper said:
Suland, where did you pickuo your HID kit and do you know who and where the kit is made? And BTW, how far where you parked from the wall/garage door when you took take picture last weekend ? Thanks.
I've got it from a friend of mine and he is importing the kits from Asia. Where else you can get such a price...It's a great kit and I just love my RAV lights now. And the installation takes 10 minutes.
As you can see on a picture I've posted, my Rav is about 15-foot from the wall.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed some of you are from the Bay Area, know anywhere to get the HID conversion done for a fair price?

Anyone try Angel Eyes? lol I'd like to see how that'd look on my new Rav.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
cchen650 said:
I noticed some of you are from the Bay Area, know anywhere to get the HID conversion done for a fair price?

Anyone try Angel Eyes? lol I'd like to see how that'd look on my new Rav.
Angel Eyes won't work unless you have a projector style lense. You can't just stick a floating glowing circle in the reflector.

As for where I got it done, this guy Larry did mine. Full adjustments with screws (to line everything up). He doesn't do it anymore so next time I'm going to do it myself. If anyone knows I'd be interested.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Erwin said:
I swear the S2000 projectors has the sharpest cutoff. I wish my BMW has the same cutoff. Nice job.
They do. That's why I shelled out extra for the S2000 ones. They have a clear projector lense unlike everyone else. Everyone else has some sort of distortion on it. Actually if I get the Rav4 sometime soon, that's one of the first thing I'll be doing. I'll probably buy a new set of headlight lenses from someone and convert it myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts