Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Xenon Depot Xtreme 5000k in my 2016 Rav4 XLE which uses 9012 HIR2 halogen bulbs. The HID kit came with 9006 bulbs which fit just fine. My question is does the beam pattern seem correct? I feel like its aimed too high or am I just not used to HID lights, its been a few years since I've had a car with them.

Here is 6 feet from my garage. It is 37 inches to the top of the cutoff.
Outside View:

Inside View:

This is from the end of my driveway:

Here's pulling out of the driveway at my neighbors car:

Street shot:

Any thoughts as to the output?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The alignment specs should be as follows, see attach thumbnails.... they seem awfully bright, but if they align like the picture, then it should be fine :)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alignment specs should be as follows, see attach thumbnails.... they seem awfully bright, but if they align like the picture, then it should be fine :)
Thanks, I looked them over again last night and realized the passenger bulb was not turned all the way. I then adjusted the lights by measuring to the center of the projector which is 36", then measuring down 2" and putting tape along the wall. I then backed up 25' and adjusted the driver side to right at the tape line and the passenger side just slightly above it. I could not fine a horiziontal adjustment for the headlights, I assume it does not have one. Anyways here are the final results:

Here is some comparison shots with the wife's 2013 Rav4 with Silverstar Ultra's (The SS look brighter in some shots but not even close in person)

Silverstar:

HID:

Silverstar:

HID:

Putting in the same kit in the wife's Rav4 this week. Not sure if the 13 Rav uses the same projector housing, but hoping I don't have to adjust the aim as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is some comparison shots with the wife's 2013 Rav4 with Silverstar Ultra's (The SS look brighter in some shots but not even close in person)

Silverstar:

HID:

Silverstar:

HID:

From what I see I can tell that Silverstone Ultra bulbs provide brighter, wider, further, and more even distribution of the light. Use the license plate of that black car parked ahead as a comparison. IMO there's something wrong with your HID bulb's position inside the housing. BTW these are very good pictures for comparison.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I see I can tell that Silverstone Ultra bulbs provide brighter, wider, further, and more even distribution of the light. Use the license plate of that black car parked ahead as a comparison. IMO there's something wrong with your HID bulb's position inside the housing. BTW these are very good pictures for comparison.
I thought the same thing. However no one else here with a 2016 and HID's has chimed in.

I do feel the beam pattern of the HID's on my 16 looked very similar with the stock HIR bulbs that were in it but not as noticeable because it was not as bright as the HID's. Have to remember the 13 Rav uses 9005 while my 16 is running in 9006 bulb in a 9012. Not sure if that is what is making the difference with the output quality. In person the HID's are so much brighter than the silverstars though.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I hope your Xenon Depot HID kit lasts longer than it did in my '13 RAV. Just short of 3 years one of the ballasts started intermittently failing, causing one light to flicker when going over a bump. I ripped the whole kit out and went back to Osram high output halogen bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts