Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, my Take on LED vs HID, there is NO comparison in terms of usable light on the road when it counts!! So I went with the trusty Xenon depot Extreme HID kit that I have been using for many years in my other vehicles, so I know the performance and quality these guys put out...

First here are a few pictures of the Kit, very easy to hook up and comes with nice detailed instructions to follow. It comes with 2-ballast 2-wiring harnesses 2-HID bulbs of your choice-I went with 5K for its nice pure bright white light, and each side has its own relay and Waterproof fuse:D

I took a step drill bit and made a nice 7/8 hole in the cover so I could put all the connection thru and then seal it up with the rubber grommet, the wires fit nicely inside the cap so you can install the cap and it looks factory.

Next was to figure out were to mount the HID ballast and relay, I found that the 3M tape does not like the black plastic where I first mounted them so I put them at the next closest spot and that seemed to work out well, you can see both sides are done the same. Then I loosely ran the wires with the included Zip ties ever how you want (tighten up later) and I found up under the plastic lip in the front was a great place for using the zip ties to an existing wire harness.

Then for Power I used the Battery of course for the Positive and Negative hook ups, thats the best source of a ground and guarantees nice clean power to the relay to get things going, I have used other grounds before but HID lights need a GOOD ground, so if you decide to make your ground someplace else and your lights do not power up, then I would immediately go to the Negative on your battery and your issues will be over----I love the fact they went ahead and made the fuses and the relay waterproof so no issues of corrosion:cool:

Let me tell you the Pictures between the diff of LED and the Extreme HID kit, there is NO comparison of the light output as far as the HID's, its a huge improvement that you cannot imagine until you get an Extreme HID kit for yourself and visualize. Looking at the couple pictures between the two it seems they are both bright up CLOSE, but its when you need to see out a distance is where the extreme HID kit excels and puts the light Out there on the road to see. There is not a huge concentrated bright spot like the LED did, the HID's give a nice spread of white light The Cutoff is perfect and does not blind other drivers at all--I had a person drive the RAV-4 and I drove my other car and we did some head to head runs on the road and no issues at all:D Any questions let me know!!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Excellent ,,, I'm so excited to get my Xenondepot HID Kit next week. :)

Please, Can you take some pictures of the places where you hook up the Positive and Negative wires in ?

So that the installation process becomes more clear for me.

Thank you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can you post pictures of how it looks at night from inside the vehicle?
Thanks!

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post pictures of how it looks at night from inside the vehicle?
Thanks!

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

Sure thing--I just bought me some 6K bulbs as well from them to compare to the 5K, so I will post up some pictures between the 2 colors to see the difference....should be done by the weekend!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts